Getting my Variables straight - a question for the experts

AFTER you've done your research and concluded your experiments, it is time to prepare for the science fair. Ask specific questions about preparing for a science fair, including how to set up your display board, how to prepare a presentation, etc. (Please post questions about selecting a project or conducting your experiment by posting in the appropriate "area of science" forum.)

Moderators: kgudger, Moderators

DC-Man
Project Question: I am wanting to do the "A Matter of Time" project -- my question; Wouldn't my Variable be "time", my Dependent Variable be the time that is measured after analyzing the independent variable, which is the 3 main ways to measure time: Standard, Solar, and Sidereal? Does this make sense OR would my Independent Variable be the Sidereal and Solar Clock that I will be observing? Thank you.
Project Due Date: March 1, 2015 (approx.)
Project Status: I am just starting

Getting my Variables straight - a question for the experts

Post by DC-Man »

Hi, I am beginning to conduct the "A Matter of Time' experiment and want to make sure of my variables. I am thinking that my dependent variable is time -- the time that is measured after analyzing the independent variable, which, I think in this case are the 3 main ways of measuring time: Standard, Solar, and Sidereal OR would my independent variable (s) be the Sidereal and Solar Time Clocks more specifically? Thanks for any help on this. Also, would I also need to specify that my variable (not independent or dependent) would simply be "time?"
tdaly
Former Expert
Project Question: N/A
Project Due Date: N/A
Project Status: Not applicable

Re: Getting my Variables straight - a question for the exper

Post by tdaly »

Hi DC-Man,

The independent variable is the thing you change. In this project, you are changing what you use to measure time: standard, sidereal, and solar clocks. The dependent variable (the thing that you measure) will be the difference between the mean and local time, which you calculate in step 8 of the procedure.

Good luck! Post back if you have more questions.
All the best,
Terik
DC-Man
Project Question: I am wanting to do the "A Matter of Time" project -- my question; Wouldn't my Variable be "time", my Dependent Variable be the time that is measured after analyzing the independent variable, which is the 3 main ways to measure time: Standard, Solar, and Sidereal? Does this make sense OR would my Independent Variable be the Sidereal and Solar Clock that I will be observing? Thank you.
Project Due Date: March 1, 2015 (approx.)
Project Status: I am just starting

Re: Getting my Variables straight - a question for the exper

Post by DC-Man »

Terik, Thank you very much.

Return to “Grades 6-8: Getting Ready for the Science Fair”