Science Fair Question

AFTER you've done your research and concluded your experiments, it is time to prepare for the science fair. Ask specific questions about preparing for a science fair, including how to set up your display board, how to prepare a presentation, etc. (Please post questions about selecting a project or conducting your experiment by posting in the appropriate "area of science" forum.)

Moderators: kgudger, Moderators

muscleboy11
Project Question: science project
Project Due Date: Jan 14, 2010
Project Status: I am conducting my experiment

Science Fair Question

Post by muscleboy11 »

I'm doing a veggie power project, I'm using a potatoe as the power veggie and it's giving out very little power I hooked it up to a watch and it only made the hand go back and forth from one digit to another. I'm trying to figure out how to make a small 1.5 volt buzzer to work. I followed the direction as posted but it's not giving out enough power. How can I get more power from a veggie
barretttomlinson
Former Expert

Re: Science Fair Question

Post by barretttomlinson »

Hi,

I would suggest using greater surface area on the electrodes (using small squares of metal rather than nails) or use multiple veggie bateries in series if your output voltage is not high enough, or in parallel if you can’t get enough current. See the project writeup. These batteries do not put out much power, so you must use very low power devices to get them to work.

Good luck!

Barrett L. Tomlinson

Return to “Grades 6-8: Getting Ready for the Science Fair”