Displaying Multiple Photos

AFTER you've done your research and concluded your experiments, it is time to prepare for the science fair. Ask specific questions about preparing for a science fair, including how to set up your display board, how to prepare a presentation, etc. (Please post questions about selecting a project or conducting your experiment by posting in the appropriate "area of science" forum.)

Moderators: kgudger, Moderators

cgambell
Project Question: Soap/Water vs. Hand Sanitizer is school setting
Project Due Date: The science fair is February 2, 2010. We have everything printed for the board. Just trying to decide how to best display the photos.
Project Status: I am finished with my experiment and analyzing the data

Displaying Multiple Photos

Post by cgambell »

My daughter needs to display multiple photos within very limited space. She tested bacteria on hands. To sum it up. she tested 48 people (12 elem students, 12 ms students, 12 hs students and 12 adults. Of the 12 in each group, 4 did not wash their hands, 4 washed with soap and water and 4 washed with hand sanitizer. She is trying to prove which is best in a school setting and whether we are teaching our children and adults good hand washing techniques. We photographed the petri dish in each group with the fewest bacteria colonies and the dish with the most bacteria colonies for each group. She would like to display those photos so people can see the comparison in each age group. However, she doesn't have adequate space to display them each individually. We thought about displaying them somewhat like a flip chart where they could flip the first photo up to see the next and then the third. No wash...wash...hand sanitizer. Make sense. Any other suggestions on how she could display these photos or use less photos. We were not sure which to use if we cut back on the number of photos. She also has charts that display this information for comparison. Any suggestions or help would be greatly appreciated. The science fair is February 2nd so we need to get the board finished this weekend! Thanks!
Amber_MIT
Former Expert
Project Question: n/a
Project Due Date: n/a
Project Status: Not applicable

Re: Displaying Multiple Photos

Post by Amber_MIT »

This sounds like a cool project!

My biggest problem was always putting everything on the board. I always liked having lots of detail :-). You might take a couple of your best pictures and put them on the board as examples. I would then put all of your pictures (including the ones on the board) in a notebook/flipbook on the table, and they should all be labeled. If you can get some of those plastic sleeves for photos, that would be best. You could put them in a binder or tie them together with a string. As long as the notebook/flipbook is obvious on the table, I don't think it will be a problem. Even better would be if you could stand up the flipbook so that the pictures can be viewed without staring down at the table.

When your daughter talks about her results, she can even flip through the pictures to show the judges examples.

Another suggestion: If these are digital photos, or you can somehow put them on the computer, you could shrink them and put a small image next to your graphs, that way they would take up less room. You might not be able to do this well if you can't see the differences when you make them small.

Here's a page about preparing a display board: https://www.sciencebuddies.org/science- ... oard.shtml

To help your daughter prepare for the fair, check out our judging tips: https://www.sciencebuddies.org/science- ... ging.shtml

Good luck and let us know if you have any more questions!
Stuck? Check out our project guides!
Project Guide: http://www.sciencebuddies.org/science-f ... ndex.shtml
Advanced Project Guide: http://www.sciencebuddies.org/science-f ... ndex.shtml

Amber Hess
Expert

Return to “Grades 6-8: Getting Ready for the Science Fair”