Veterinarian

AFTER you've done your research and concluded your experiments, it is time to prepare for the science fair. Ask specific questions about preparing for a science fair, including how to set up your display board, how to prepare a presentation, etc. (Please post questions about selecting a project or conducting your experiment by posting in the appropriate "area of science" forum.)

Moderators: kgudger, Moderators

Marco D
Project Question: I found I dead bird in my bakyard. I observed it and saw that it was starting to decay, it looked kind of gray and it was being eaten by ants. What should I do with the body? How do you think it died?
Project Due Date: November 8,2010
Project Status: I am conducting my experiment

Veterinarian

Post by Marco D »

Hello, I have a question for a veterinarian. Yesterday I found a dead bird in my backyard. I observed the bird and saw the it was turning gray, there were ants eating it and it was starting to decay. I would like to know how long you think it would take to decay? I would also know how you think it died.
MelissaB

Re: Veterinarian

Post by MelissaB »

I am not a veterinarian, but I study wild birds.

Do you have any idea what sort of bird it was? Was it near a window? My guess would be that it either died from hitting a window or was killed by a predator (a cat, a hawk, etc.). However, it could have died from a disease, so I would suggest not touching it without gloves and not getting your face too close to it.

It is impossible to know exactly how long it will take to decay. (Especially since I do not know what size the bird is.) I would guess that the soft tissue will decay within a few days to a few weeks. The feathers and the skeleton, however, will take much longer to break down. If nothing moves it, it could be a year or more before the feathers start to decay, and the skeleton will not decay for many years. However, you may go out one morning and find that it has disappeared and a cat or something dragged it somewhere else to eat what's left!

Please be aware that it is illegal to possess most birds' tissues (including feathers), so do not be tempted to keep any of the feathers, no matter how the animal died.

Return to “Grades 6-8: Getting Ready for the Science Fair”