From trash to gas

AFTER you've done your research and concluded your experiments, it is time to prepare for the science fair. Ask specific questions about preparing for a science fair, including how to set up your display board, how to prepare a presentation, etc. (Please post questions about selecting a project or conducting your experiment by posting in the appropriate "area of science" forum.)

Moderators: kgudger, Moderators

raintrejo
Project Question: From trash to gas: how long does it take for the ballons to fill with gas also should they be outside or inside?
Project Due Date: june 19th
Project Status: I am conducting my experiment

From trash to gas

Post by raintrejo »

H, I wanted to know how long does it take for the balloons to fill up?
Also should the bottles be inside or outside,
theborg
Project Question: "To explain all nature is too difficult a task for any one man. 'Tis much better to do a little with certainty and leave the rest for others that come after you, than to explain all things by conjecture without making sure of anything." - Sir Isaac Newton
Project Due Date: N/A
Project Status: Not applicable

Re: From trash to gas

Post by theborg »

Hello, welcome to science buddies. I'm assuming you are performing the experiment from the project suggestions on the SB site.

For your questions:
1) How fast the balloons will fill up? The answer is "it depends". Each will fill up at a different rate based on the decay rate and amount of methane produced by the biomass in each bottle. However, you should start seeing results right away (within 24 hrs). Keep in mind, however, the objective is to compare the amount of gas produced by the different biomass mixtures over a given timeframe vs. filling the balloons up.

2) should they be inside or outside. This shouldn't matter as long as all the bottles are in the same environment. I would think that exposures to the sun would cause the decay rate of the biomasses in each bottle to accelerate, but not sure. As a variation of the experiment, you could have 2 identical experiments, one in the dark and one in the sun and see if it makes a difference over the same timeframe in the production of biogass. Does one mixture of biomass perform better in sunlight? In the dark?

Let us know if this answers your questions, or if you have additional ones.
Hope this helps.

theborg
----------
Science Buddies science fair guide:
http://www.sciencebuddies.org/science-fair-projects/project_guide_index.shtml

Science Buddies project ideas:
http://www.sciencebuddies.org/science-fair-projects/project_ideas.shtml

Return to “Grades 6-8: Getting Ready for the Science Fair”