Astronomy project

AFTER you've done your research and concluded your experiments, it is time to prepare for the science fair. Ask specific questions about preparing for a science fair, including how to set up your display board, how to prepare a presentation, etc. (Please post questions about selecting a project or conducting your experiment by posting in the appropriate "area of science" forum.)

Moderators: kgudger, Moderators

meyerscj18
Project Question: I just need help with a project
Project Due Date: n/a
Project Status: I am just starting

Astronomy project

Post by meyerscj18 »

Is there any minerals on earth that resembles moon dust?
tdaly
Former Expert
Project Question: N/A
Project Due Date: N/A
Project Status: Not applicable

Re: Astronomy project

Post by tdaly »

Hi meyerscj18,

Welcome to the Ask an Expert forums!The minerals on the Moon are the same kinds of minerals we have here on Earth. "Moon dust" is powdered Moon rock that has been pulverized by the repeated impacts of asteroids, comets, and cosmic dust into the Moon.

When you look up at the Moon, the brighter regions of the Moon (called the highlands) are primarily made of a mineral called anorthite, which is a type of feldspar. The major minerals in the darker, circular portions of the Moon (called mare) are pyroxene and feldspar. Here on Earth, we also have feldspars and pyroxenes. Other minerals are present on the Moon, but those other minerals are not as common.

What type of experiment are you thinking of doing? With a few more details, I will be better able to help you identify an analog for "Moon dust" (which scientists refer to as the "lunar regolith").
All the best,
Terik

Return to “Grades 9-12: Getting Ready for the Science Fair”