Help please

AFTER you've done your research and concluded your experiments, it is time to prepare for the science fair. Ask specific questions about preparing for a science fair, including how to set up your display board, how to prepare a presentation, etc. (Please post questions about selecting a project or conducting your experiment by posting in the appropriate "area of science" forum.)

Moderators: kgudger, Moderators

melvin speaks
Project Question: Can you help me find a good hypothesis?
Project Due Date: 2/9/15
Project Status: I am conducting my research

Help please

Post by melvin speaks »

My science fair project it on how to to detect waves in your microwave. I have my frequency and my wavelength, but now I'm stuck and don't know what to do next. Please help me.

P.S MY project is due Monday
HowardE
Project Question: N/A
Project Due Date: N/A
Project Status: Not applicable

Re: Help please

Post by HowardE »

You can detect the presence of the wave energy by noting their effect. If you put something which contains fat or water in the microwave it gets hot. That demonstrates the presence of electromagnetic energy. There are quite a few websites that discuss why this is. https://sciencequestionswithchris.wordp ... -to-water/ seems like a good one and it discusses the common myth of why microwaves run at the frequency they do.

You can also measure any energy that makes it past the door with a special meter. I know you just asked your question two days ago and the project is due tomorrow. That's not enough time to get a meter but you can find quite a few with an internet search. A good one will show you the energy that makes it past the door seal (you don't want to see a lot, but you will likely see at least a little). That would demonstrate that energy, and hence waves, is present. It also tells you why it's not a great idea to put your face up the window and watch things cook.

I hope you were able to figure out a project in your short time frame.

Howard

Return to “Grades 9-12: Getting Ready for the Science Fair”