Help ! science fair

AFTER you've done your research and concluded your experiments, it is time to prepare for the science fair. Ask specific questions about preparing for a science fair, including how to set up your display board, how to prepare a presentation, etc. (Please post questions about selecting a project or conducting your experiment by posting in the appropriate "area of science" forum.)

Moderators: kgudger, Moderators

Sandymandy2113
Project Question: I am doing a experiment for school on which brand of spf 30 sunscreen protects the skin from everyday sunshine the best. we used photo film and covered it with equally measured sunscreen and left it out in the sun for 2 hours thinking that the film when exposed to sunlight turns white and the one the darkest would have been the best but this did not happen So my question is what could i use to replace the "photo film" so we could test our aim and how we could perform this experiment.
Project Due Date: 27 april 2015
Project Status: I am conducting my experiment

Help ! science fair

Post by Sandymandy2113 »

hi.
I'm doing a project to test Which brand of spf 30 sunscreen protects the skin from everyday sunshine.
i decided to test my aim by equally measuring each sunscreen and applying it on photo film and since photo film when in light changes from dark to light. I thought by placing the sunscreen on the film i would be able to see, after scrapping the sunscreen off the film, which one out of the ten different sunscreens keep the film the closet to the original colour it started with. But this didn't work
please can you help me find out what i must rather use to replace the film aspect in our science project.
HowardE
Project Question: N/A
Project Due Date: N/A
Project Status: Not applicable

Re: Help ! science fair

Post by HowardE »

Photographic film is going to respond to all visible light, so what you're saying isn't a big surprise. A number of other sites on the web talk about doing this with an electronic UV meter like you might take to the beach on a sunny day. I can't specifically recommend any, but they tend to look like this one: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000EPYMDW

You would put it in a box, covered by a sheet of glass and put the sunscreen on the glass. Read the meter, clean the glass off completely and try another sunscreen. Don't forget to do trials with clean glass as a control.

Howard

Return to “Grades 9-12: Getting Ready for the Science Fair”