need energy in a blackout

AFTER you've done your research and concluded your experiments, it is time to prepare for the science fair. Ask specific questions about preparing for a science fair, including how to set up your display board, how to prepare a presentation, etc. (Please post questions about selecting a project or conducting your experiment by posting in the appropriate "area of science" forum.)

Moderators: kgudger, Moderators

aditissharma
Project Question: science project: there is a black out and all of your devices have gone dead. build a device using household materials (except preconstructed motors and battaries) to charge your smartphone
Project Due Date: 29 july 2015
Project Status: I am conducting my experiment

need energy in a blackout

Post by aditissharma »

There is a black out and all of your devices have gone dead. Build a device using household materials (except preconstructed motors and battaries) to charge your smartphone.
i have done research and tried alot of experimenting but i cant seem to build anything that would give enough power to charge a smartphone. :| :cry:
HowardE
Project Question: N/A
Project Due Date: N/A
Project Status: Not applicable

Re: need energy in a blackout

Post by HowardE »

it's not a good idea to cobble together power supplies that aren't regulated unless you want to fry your cellphone, but you can just make batteries out of acidic fruit and different metals, or stack nickels and pennies together with paper towel soaked in salt water. You need a lot of fruit or pocket change though.

http://www.thenakedscientists.com/HTML/ ... th-lemons/

It's a bad idea and you'll likely damage your phone if you manage to get it to charge at all, but that's how I'd do it if I wanted to. You may need to do a bit more experimenting and I'd suggest you have a meter handy to check voltages & current, and experiment with an old phone you don't care about.

Return to “Grades 9-12: Getting Ready for the Science Fair”