Burning calories: how much energy

AFTER you've done your research and concluded your experiments, it is time to prepare for the science fair. Ask specific questions about preparing for a science fair, including how to set up your display board, how to prepare a presentation, etc. (Please post questions about selecting a project or conducting your experiment by posting in the appropriate "area of science" forum.)

Moderators: kgudger, Moderators

Marquerette
Project Question: Burning Calories: How much energy us stored in different types of food
Project Due Date: 15 July 2015
Project Status: I am just starting

Burning calories: how much energy

Post by Marquerette »

I'm working on a science fair project. I chose the experiment Burning Calories:How Much Energy is Stored in Different Types of Food?
As part of the project,we must also research the use of the project in technology and society. However,I'm finding it rather difficult to find information in regards to the questions.

1)Investigate,discuss and evaluate scientific and indegenous knowledge:
1. Cultural differences and views
2. Identify indegenous knowledge
3. Connect indegenous knowledge and scientific knowledge
4. improvements

Also,I was wondering what the constant variables in this experiment is?
tdaly
Former Expert
Project Question: N/A
Project Due Date: N/A
Project Status: Not applicable

Re: Burning calories: how much energy

Post by tdaly »

Hi Marquerette,

I'm not sure I entirely follow what you need to discuss in your paper. I'm also not sure what your cultural background is, which would likely affect your responses to these questions. That being said, in the areas where I live many people "count calories" as part of a weight loss program or because of other medical reasons (e.g., diabetes). The project that you are doing reveals how calorie counts are measured. In that way, it provides a scientific basis for understanding some of the "calorie counts" thrown around in societal debates around calories, "empty calories", junk foods, whole foods, real foods, various diets, and obesity.
All the best,
Terik

Return to “Grades 9-12: Getting Ready for the Science Fair”