Purchasing genetically modified fruit flies

AFTER you've done your research and concluded your experiments, it is time to prepare for the science fair. Ask specific questions about preparing for a science fair, including how to set up your display board, how to prepare a presentation, etc. (Please post questions about selecting a project or conducting your experiment by posting in the appropriate "area of science" forum.)

Moderators: kgudger, Moderators

simha
Project Question: Advice on purchasing genetically modified fruit flies
Project Due Date: September 2015
Project Status: I am conducting my research

Purchasing genetically modified fruit flies

Post by simha »

Good morning,

I am working on my science project and I am planning to use Drosophila (fruit flies) to model human disease. I did find the Bloomington Drosophila Stock Center at Indiana University as a probable source. But I am not sure of the procedure for purchasing these flies; especially for genetically mutated flies. Could you please advise me on how to go about this? I mentioned that the project due to date is January 2016. But, I rechecked and the due date is actually September 2015. Sorry for the mistake.

Thank you for your time.
bfinio
Expert
Project Question: Expert
Project Due Date: n/a
Project Status: Not applicable

Re: Purchasing genetically modified fruit flies

Post by bfinio »

Hi simha,

I don't have any experience ordering live organisms, but if you've already found a potential source, I would just call them and ask. I know for certain chemicals, vendors do not sell to students directly and you have to purchase the materials through your school or chemistry teacher. Maybe it's the same case for certain biological materials. You'll probably get a better answer directly from that lab at Indiana University than you will from anyone here. Good luck!

-Ben

Return to “Grades 9-12: Getting Ready for the Science Fair”