Forensic Science: Building Your Own Tool for Identifying DNA

AFTER you've done your research and concluded your experiments, it is time to prepare for the science fair. Ask specific questions about preparing for a science fair, including how to set up your display board, how to prepare a presentation, etc. (Please post questions about selecting a project or conducting your experiment by posting in the appropriate "area of science" forum.)

Moderators: kgudger, Moderators

Ardor
Project Question: In My Project, "Forensic Science: Building Your Own Tool for Identifying DNA." (Yes the project is on this site) The apparent "conclusion" Is a little cart that shows what color of dye went how far. Well what does that mean? How can I give the judges and answer to, "Why did the blue strand travel farther than the red?" "Uhhh..." Yeah I gotta know this stuff.
Project Due Date: 1-4-8!!!
Project Status: I am conducting my experiment

Forensic Science: Building Your Own Tool for Identifying DNA

Post by Ardor »

I need help with this. I am getting the Agarose tomorrow, and it is due this friday. I am Pretty sure I understand this stuff pretty well, but any science project tips would help alot. How to impress the judges (Presentation to audience interaction, explaining every little detail etc.) And I would also like some tips on what I should breing to the presentation. Like the whold experiment or maybe bits and peices. thanks alot for the help! :)

(Please note the project question to the left ;))
.................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................:arrow:
barretttomlinson
Former Expert

Re: Forensic Science: Building Your Own Tool for Identifying DNA

Post by barretttomlinson »

Hi,

My best advice is to read through the Science Buddies Project Guide from start to finish. It answers most of the questions you posed:

https://www.sciencebuddies.org/science- ... ndex.shtml

Wishing you a very successful project!

Best regards,

Barrett L. Tomlinson
Ardor
Project Question: In My Project, "Forensic Science: Building Your Own Tool for Identifying DNA." (Yes the project is on this site) The apparent "conclusion" Is a little cart that shows what color of dye went how far. Well what does that mean? How can I give the judges and answer to, "Why did the blue strand travel farther than the red?" "Uhhh..." Yeah I gotta know this stuff.
Project Due Date: 1-4-8!!!
Project Status: I am conducting my experiment

Post by Ardor »

Ok I finished the Experiment, but I think I put too much food coloring in (It was a slip) and I don't know what to write for my conclusion! I NEED HELP!!!
Jacobshhs
Project Question: intelligence (sorry but I'm trying to keep this my project so no one can steal it)
Project Due Date: 9/13 at 8:00 for the STS
Project Status: I am finished with my experiment and analyzing the data

Post by Jacobshhs »

Just say : my conclusion was xxxx However i ran into a snag and i think i put too much food coloring in which may have messed with my results.
varunkakkar
Project Question: DNA Identifier
Project Due Date: 21st may 2014
Project Status: I am conducting my research

Re: Forensic Science: Building Your Own Tool for Identifying

Post by varunkakkar »

Can i use Gelatine instead of agrose? Agrose powder is pretty hard to get in the UAE

Return to “Grades 9-12: Getting Ready for the Science Fair”