Bisphenol A?

AFTER you've done your research and concluded your experiments, it is time to prepare for the science fair. Ask specific questions about preparing for a science fair, including how to set up your display board, how to prepare a presentation, etc. (Please post questions about selecting a project or conducting your experiment by posting in the appropriate "area of science" forum.)

Moderators: kgudger, Moderators

swimchick1234514
Project Question: I will be investigating Bisphenol A's effects on yeast cell growth and development.
Project Due Date: January 1st, 2011
Project Status: I am conducting my research

Bisphenol A?

Post by swimchick1234514 »

I wanted to conduct an experiment testing the effects of Bisphenol A on cells' growth and development. I was wondering if anyone knows if this is a regulated chemical that can be purchased or ordered from somewhere and where I could look for something like this, if it's even possible!
Thanks for the help!
barretttomlinson
Former Expert

Re: Bisphenol A?

Post by barretttomlinson »

Hi,

Bisphnol A is considered mildly toxic and requires some special handling precautions, but can easily be handled in most chemistry laboratories. It can be shipped without special precautions. It is sold in the United States by Sigma Aldrich as product number 239658 (and probably other suppliers) and is available for immediate shipment.
Here is a Material Saftey Data Sheet for it:

http://www.sigmaaldrich.com/MSDS/MSDS/D ... SDSPage.do

There are probably restrictions on sale to other than recognized laboratories (true of most chemicals now), so you may have to order it through your school or mentor’s laboratory.

Here is a like to the Sigma Aldrich product page:

http://www.sigmaaldrich.com/catalog/Loo ... N25=0&F=PR

Hope this helps. Good luck on the project!

Best regards,

Barrett L Tomlinson
nicole21
Project Question: i want to ask a question
Project Due Date: february 13th, 2014
Project Status: I am just starting

Re: Bisphenol A?

Post by nicole21 »

Hi,
I need to have ideas for my science fair project by Tuesday and I really want to include Bisphenol A in my project. I was doing some research and saw that many people were doing how temperature affects the release of BPA in the environment. Though the project is a great idea, it has been done before and I am hoping to get to state or county with this project and want it to be original. My science teacher suggested to measure BPA in certain types of plastics but I can't figure out how to do that. Can you please help me out?

Return to “Grades 9-12: Getting Ready for the Science Fair”