elvisrocks

data analysis

Postby elvisrocks » Tue Dec 13, 2005 5:51 pm

My science research project is the effect of different concentrations of gas and oil on the height and the health of the bean plants. The independent vaariable is the amount/type of liquid given to the plant. The levels of the independent variable are 1/2 tsp gas, 1 tsp gas, 1 tbsp gas, 1 1/2 tbsp gas, 1/2 tsp oil, 1 tsp oil, 1 tbsp oil, 1 1/2 tbsp oil and water(control). There are 6 trials for each level. There are two dependent variables, the height of the bean plants and the health of the bean plants. For recording the health of the plants I simply record "Healthy" or "Unhealthy".
I am working on analyzing the data. Here is what I have so far. The height of the plant is quantitative ratio data. I am using mean as the measure of central tendency and range as the measure of variation. The health of the plant is qualitative nominal data. I am using mode as the measure of central tendency and frequency distribution as the measure of variation. Please tell me other ways I can furthur analyze the data. Thank you for your help.

popcornshrimp

Well...

Postby popcornshrimp » Tue Dec 13, 2005 6:02 pm

Hey karla,
yes i know it's you! You spelled 'Variable' wrong!

jessicahua
Former Expert

Postby jessicahua » Wed Dec 14, 2005 5:28 pm

Hi!

To show health of the plants you can describe more about it. You can talk about the color of the plant, whether the stem is firm and sturdy, and if there are any wilted leaves.

Hope this helps :wink:
"Oh, what a tangled web we weave, when first we practice to deceive!"

~ Sir Walter Scott

Return to “Preparing for the Science Fair”