Madcowsk8r

I have a question

Postby Madcowsk8r » Wed Dec 14, 2005 2:49 pm

I'm doing an experiment for school and the topic is 'The effect of materials put in sandbags on its ability to to hold back water'. I am working with a partner and we had made a type of ramp were we are able to put our home made sandbags on it and then pour water down it and have the sandbags hold back the water. At the bottom of our ramp there is a place to collect the amount of water that got through the wall of sanbags in 5 seconds. After five seconds the measuring cup would be taken away and the amount of water in the cup would be measured. My real question is how could i set up my display board to make it nice enough for a science fair in wich we have to go to wich is required by my teacher. Thank yuo very much for your feedback.

Kyle

jessicahua
Former Expert

Postby jessicahua » Wed Dec 14, 2005 5:21 pm

Hi!

Wow...that seems interesting. Oh...here is a site that you should look at for your board:

http://www.sciencebuddies.org/mentoring ... oard.shtml

Hope this helps :roll:
"Oh, what a tangled web we weave, when first we practice to deceive!"

~ Sir Walter Scott

LeeeeeroyJenkins

Postby LeeeeeroyJenkins » Sun Dec 18, 2005 9:12 pm

Anyway, on the issue of your science project, I made a list for you of ways on how your science project display board be even better.

*Add color, clean color, not to bright, but smooth color, this helps get your poster seen, and it looks good. You dont want a $&^@ piece of a project.

*PICTURES! yeaa boiii! Pictures, help judges know that you actually did your project, and didn't buy it of http://www.ebay.com which is a very great website to buy projects off of. *WINK* WINK*

*Be smart! Know your stuff, make sure you are able to answer any question.
*Show data on the display board, make sure it is easy to understand, and organized. This way judges can glance at it and see what the results were.

*If you have a check list for your project double check everything, you want to be sure that you have everything done.

*Do it ahead of time! Don't wanna do it at the last minute.

I'm sure other people have great ideas, for your project, and things you can improve on. Good Luck!
tHeRe Is n0 Sp00n
-The mAtrix

donnahardy2
Former Expert

Displaying your project

Postby donnahardy2 » Mon Dec 19, 2005 3:22 pm

Hi Kyle,

The most important part of your project is your results, so you should prepare a graph of your data. Did you do a control with no sandbag, so you will know how much water flows through? This is 100% of the expected flow through. All of the other results can be calculated as a percentage of this volume. If you didn't do a no-sandbag control, then just graph the actual volumes. I think a bar graph would be the best way to display the data.

Next, read through the rules of your science fair and make sure you have included every section that is required. Pictures would be very helpful, so the judges will understand how you did your experiment. Don't forget to include a bibliography. Make sure your conclusion is related to the hypothesis and to the experimental results.

Let us know if you have any other questions.

Donna Hardy

Return to “Preparing for the Science Fair”