Croftoneagle16

further analysis of data

Postby Croftoneagle16 » Thu Dec 15, 2005 5:06 pm

My science fair experiment is the effect of various concentrations of ammonia on the height of plants and the amount of ammonia that is absorbed by the plants. I had 5 groups. All groups had 6 plants. One group was the control. The second group was the 2mL per 2 liters solution. The next was 5mL 10mL and 15mL. To test the amount of ammonia that is absorbed and unabsorbed I used an ammonia testing kit. After i completed my experiment i gathered the data and did the first analysis. I gathered the average plant heights of all the trials and the average amount of absorbed and unabsorbed ammonia. I read in some research that ammonia was used in some fertilizers. That is why i decided to test ammonia. My hypothesis states that as the amount of ammonia increases, the hiehgt of the plant will increase, the amount of absorbed ammonia will increase and the amount of unabsorbed ammonia will decrease. My results were totally different than what i predicted. The height of the plants decreased as the amount of ammonia increased, the amount of unabsorbed ammonia increased and the amount of absorbed ammonia had no specific pattern. My question is how can i further analyze this data? How would i further analyze it because i dont know?
Croftoneagle16

hostsha
Former Expert

Postby hostsha » Fri Dec 16, 2005 8:24 am

Croftoneagle16,

Thanks for informing hypothesis, procedure, expected results and obtained results to conclude. Consider modifying procedure as given below.

Hypothes: My hypothesis states that as the amount of ammonia increases, the hiehgt of the plant will increase, the amount of absorbed ammonia will increase and the amount of unabsorbed ammonia will decrease.

Experiment: My science fair experiment is the effect of various concentrations of ammonia on the height of plants and the amount of ammonia that is absorbed by the plants. I had 5 groups. All groups had 6 plants. One group was the control. The second group was the 2mL per 2 liters solution. The next was 5mL 10mL and 15mL. To test the amount of ammonia that is absorbed and unabsorbed I used an ammonia testing kit

Consider to modify the procedure: Type of plants used ?
Suggestion: Bean plants will work better with nitrogen fixing bacteria in root nodule.
NH3 Concentration: Calculate to ppm level.
Suggestion: Plan experiment from 10 ppm to 1000 ppm level.
Find the optimum concnetration level of ammonia required.

Now conclude your experiment based on result and see your hypothesis is correct. If not revise again to find the optimum conditions for your experiment.

I hope this helps.

HostSha
Secondary School Teacher.

Return to “Preparing for the Science Fair”