Madcowsk8r

Science research paper

Postby Madcowsk8r » Tue Dec 27, 2005 12:22 pm

Ok our class is doing a science research paper now and the teacher gave out guidleines for the paper but i have missplaced them. WOuld anyone know what exactly the final write up or the "science research paper" is suppose to be
Thank you

Sareena Avadhany
Former Expert

Postby Sareena Avadhany » Tue Dec 27, 2005 5:23 pm

Hi Madcowsk8r,

As an initial note, please refrain from putting vulgar language on this forum. Students of all ages come to this site to learn about science. This shall be a warning not to do it again.

Here's a link:

http://www.aresearchguide.com/

This link is for writing a "research paper." In a science research paper, you are stating your findings. It is basically like an expanded abstract.

State your observation, backround research, hyptothesis, materials and methods, results (data analysis) and your conclusion.

What is your project about? We might be able to provide you with more advice if you give specifics.

Hope this helps,
Sareena

Madcowsk8r

Postby Madcowsk8r » Wed Dec 28, 2005 11:23 am

ok my project is what is the effect of materials put in sandbags on the effect it has on the sandbags abiltiy to hold back water. If this will help at all in any one giving advice to me pllease reply and as for the comment at the end i am very sorry about that. I was away from my computer and i asked a friend to please send that for me while i was away and he decided to put the comment there when i was not present so i am very sorry about that. Thank you for your help.

Sareena Avadhany
Former Expert

Postby Sareena Avadhany » Wed Dec 28, 2005 12:27 pm

Hi Madcowsk8r,

Here are the things needed for your paper:

1) Abstract - all of your findings condensed into one-two paragraphs. Bascially the steps of the Scientific Method. Your question, backround research, hypothesis...etc.

2. Introduction - backround information about your project. Give the reader an insight to why you did this project. For instance, you could give statistics on flooding and how helpful sandbags could be in preventing more damage.

3. Materials/Methods - here you talk about what you used and how you used it. Procedures.

4. Data Results...self explanatory

5. Data Analysis - what does the data mean?

5. Conclusion - relate your findings to your hypothesis. Was your hypothesis right or wrong?

6. References. You must always sight any information you got from a source. Most papers are done in MLA format. Maybe you could check with a classmate about that. Even when writing about backround research, you must either add footnotes, or intext siting.

MLA format is always confusing to any student. Here's a link. Maybe it will clarify your questions:
http://owl.english.purdue.edu/handouts/ ... r_mla.html

Keep in mind that siting your work is VERY important in ANY research paper.

Hope this helps!

Sincerely,
Sareena

Return to “Preparing for the Science Fair”