kjchapman

Urgent! must find help by Jan 8! please help

Postby kjchapman » Wed Jan 04, 2006 4:30 pm

My project is the effect of oysters on the water quality of the Chesapeake Bay. In order to test for this i got 4 tanks full of bay water and put about 2 inches of sand in the bottom of each (each tank had equal amounts of sand and water all retrieved from the same place). in the first tank i put 0 oysters, in the second 7 oysters, in the third 14 oysters and in the fourth 21 oysters. I tested for pH, nitrite, ammonia and nitrate for 2 weeks straight testing every other day and then i would start a new trial. I have done 3 trials and i am wondering the best way to graph my results and how to display my raw data. what is raw data? my teacher keeps telling me I need it but i'm not entirely sure I know what she means. So please if you have any suggestions respond to me!
Thanks a bunch!
kelly

MaryB
Former Expert

Postby MaryB » Thu Jan 05, 2006 2:36 pm

Hi there,

Raw data is the data that you have collected and have not yet analyzed. For example, if you have 3 trials the raw data would be the numbers you collected, and you now need to analyze this data to display it in a graph form. For analysis, you will probably want to find the mean (average) value of the 3 trials and display this number in graphical format, you will also probably want to determine the standard deviation or standard error of the 3 trials and display this value as an error bar on your graph. Have a look at the link below on how to analyze your results:

http://www.sciencebuddies.org/mentoring ... ysis.shtml

I hope this helps. Please let us know if you have any more questions.

Mary

kjchapman

Postby kjchapman » Thu Jan 05, 2006 4:44 pm

thanks this really helped!

:D kelly

Return to “Preparing for the Science Fair”