What exactly is considered a "continuation"?

Ask specific questions about preparing for a science fair, such as: judging, how to set up your display board, preparing a presentation, preparing for questions...

Moderator: berkeleywebs

chahah

What exactly is considered a "continuation"?

Post by chahah »

My son completed a research project last year, but did not enter it into any of the major competitions. He also did not get his project IRB approved. He wanted to send it in to Intel or the Junior Science and Humanities Symposium, but does not know if he would even be considered. Apparently he has altered the survey and will be doing some different things with the analysis--plus, he must get IRB approval and "informed consent."

Is this considered a continuation if he hadn't entered into into the competition in the past? Intel asks for the form 1A, but he had never filled one out since he never entered before. I thought his project might not be a continuation for this reason. Also, JSHS guidelines said "previously entered into JSHS" under continuation.

If it IS considered a continuation, will the project be OK?

Sorry for my poorly worded explanation. Does anyone have any ideas?
tdaly
Former Expert
Project Question: N/A
Project Due Date: N/A
Project Status: Not applicable

Post by tdaly »

The rules for JSHS and ISEF are different. To be considered a continuation project for JSHS, the project must involve additional research along the same lines as that presented at a previous JSHS. Thus, I would not consider your child's project a continuation project for the purposes of JSHS.

The question becomes more complicated. Your child will probably not be allowed to present any work done without IRB or SRC approval since it appears his project deals with humans. Intel ISEF rules also dictate that only work completed in a twelve-month period out of the past 18 months can be presented. So, I would not consider your child's project a continuation for the purposes of the Intel ISEF. However, your child will probably not be able to present the research he conducted last year.

Please note that the final decision will be made by the SRC for your regional Intel ISEF-affiliated fair. For a definitive answer, please contact the chair of your local SRC commitee.
All the best,
Terik
nahendri

Post by nahendri »

I think your best bet is to contact the fair officials. If it was never judged as an ISEF project and he is going to redo all of the research and use a different survey tool, I would simply redo the project if it has never been presented at an ISEF affiliated fair. Again, I would speak to those in charge of the fair - but it is not a continuation if it has never been presented - yet the last years research cannot be on the board.

I ran into this before and changed my project.
Nicole

Return to “Preparing for the Science Fair”