science fair outline

Ask specific questions about preparing for a science fair, such as: judging, how to set up your display board, preparing a presentation, preparing for questions...

Moderator: berkeleywebs

babygrlnpnk999

science fair outline

Post by babygrlnpnk999 »

I have to have an outline done for my science fair project on monday 12/11/06 and my Topic is DNA I dont know what to do an outline on. Dna is such a wide category i have no idea where i should start and put in my paper i want it to be somewhat fascinating. PLease help me find a certain topic to write my paper(outline) on! THANK YOU
methionine
Project Question: Fox-1 and Fox-2 in Cassette Exon Inclusion and Exclusion
Project Due Date: April 9
Project Status: I am finished with my experiment and analyzing the data

Post by methionine »

Hi,

You're right-- there are many subtopics in studying DNA, and once you read up enough about it, you'll probably get a feel for it, and what questions still need to be answered... you'll probably find a subject which you are interested in.
For example, DNA must go through many processes before it is expressed (codes for protein product). This includes transcription and translation, which both involve numerous enzymes such as helicase, ligase, polymerase.. etc. Read up on key terms you come across; this is usually a good way to expand on your general background knowledge and will also probably prep you for your science fair presentation.
Some of the scientific papers you come across will include big words that you probably won't know. Take the time to look those up; but if the paper really seems too difficult/out of your range, etc... look at other papers instead.
You might also want to see how mutations (random changes in DNA...) occur. There are several types of mutations, such as point mutations, frameshift mutations, with frameshift mutations being more lethal in general. You might want to study how mutations contribute to tumoriogenesis (tumor growth), or how mutations can be "rescued", or what affects the likelihood of mutations...
You don't have to do any of the topics I mentioned, or you might want to delve deeper into one of those I have mentioned. There are so many unanswered questions out there. I just hope that you might be able to use this as a starting point for your research. Best of luck!

-M
People do not see the world as it is, they see it as they are.

Return to “Preparing for the Science Fair”