terrick, it's me again, ari

Ask specific questions about preparing for a science fair, such as: judging, how to set up your display board, preparing a presentation, preparing for questions...

Moderator: berkeleywebs

ari

terrick, it's me again, ari

Post by ari »

PROBLEM STATEMENT

IN MY PROJECT I WILL TRY TO FIND OUT WHAT 9-VOLT BATTERY WILL LAST THE LONGEST WITH A VOLTAGE METER. The batteries will be Duracell, Energizer and Radio shack brand

Hypothesis

I think the Energizer battery will last the longest. I believe this because during my research on the Internet, in tests, Energizer outperforms other batteries and makes more sizes than other manufactures. Also, I like their advertising claim that “the bunny keeps going and going�!!

What do you thtink?
Ari
MELISSA
Craig_Bridge
Former Expert

Post by Craig_Bridge »

Think about what do you need to control in your experiment.
You might want to consider shelf life. If some of your batteries have been sitting around gathering dust and other haven't, is that a well controlled experiment?

Think about sample size. How many batteries of each type and brand do you need to use as a minimim sample size?

A volt meters makes for a poor "load". A multi-meter is a useful tool for measuring voltage and current; however, you probably want to be able to be testing several batteries at once. Coming up with multiple identical DC motors is also a problem (based on your project question).

You might want to think about using some precision resistors as loads. Please note that if the electrical properties of the loads differ, the results will likely differ.

Electrical properties of batteries include more than just voltage (measuered in volts). Current (typically measured in milli-amps), power (voltage times current typically calculated in milli-watts), and energy (typically milli-watt hours) are also involved. Look up these units on some sites that describe ohms-law and power.

If you choose to do this experiment and need help, please post back and ask an administrator to move this thread to the Physical Science Forum.
-Craig
tdaly
Former Expert
Project Question: N/A
Project Due Date: N/A
Project Status: Not applicable

Post by tdaly »

ari,

I really like the way you have stated your problem and hypothesis. It's clear and to the point. Congrats - step one of your science fair project is done!

What grade are you in? I'm afraid that some of the responses you've been getting might be a bit over your head... Knowing your grade level will help us help you better!
All the best,
Terik

Return to “Preparing for the Science Fair”