Board Specs

Ask specific questions about preparing for a science fair, such as: judging, how to set up your display board, preparing a presentation, preparing for questions...

Moderator: berkeleywebs

sushants

Board Specs

Post by sushants »

ISEF has that 6 foot limit (w/ table). Does this height include the title board?
Sushant Sundaresh
tdaly
Former Expert
Project Question: N/A
Project Due Date: N/A
Project Status: Not applicable

Post by tdaly »

Yes. When you check in at Intel ISEF, a Display and Safety inspector will take a measuring tape and measure how tall your board is. If ANY part of the board exceeds the space requirements (even just a piece of paper), they will not allow you to compete until you are in compliance.
All the best,
Terik
sushants

Project Notebook

Post by sushants »

My work notes are pretty messy and because I have run multiple trials they are getting rather repetitive in terms of lab documentation. I do have handwritten data sheets, but would it be advisable to print copies of my transcribed data instead and keep token copies of the handwritten ones in my binder?

Basically: what exactly do you recommend should be displayed in the notebook? and also, would the technical paper/writeup for my project be a worthwhile addition?
Sushant Sundaresh
Louise
Former Expert

Re: Project Notebook

Post by Louise »

sushants wrote:My work notes are pretty messy and because I have run multiple trials they are getting rather repetitive in terms of lab documentation. I do have handwritten data sheets, but would it be advisable to print copies of my transcribed data instead and keep token copies of the handwritten ones in my binder?

Basically: what exactly do you recommend should be displayed in the notebook? and also, would the technical paper/writeup for my project be a worthwhile addition?
I cannot speak to the ISEF requirements, but as a professional scientist, I can tell you that a messy, but original notebook is infinitely more important than neatly transcribed copies. I think there is nothing wrong with having typed up or tabulated data, but your original notebook shouldn't be considered a "token copy" to be hidden in a binder.

Of course, the best thing is to keep a neat notebook from the beginning, but that is sometimes easier said and done.

Lastly, there is an ISEF specific forum on this site, which might lead to faster responses.

Good luck with the fair!
Louise
tdaly
Former Expert
Project Question: N/A
Project Due Date: N/A
Project Status: Not applicable

Post by tdaly »

sushants,

The short answer to your latest question is Yes! Definitely display your original lab book and also have transcribed/typed data on hand. A technical paper would be advisable, but given that ISEF starts in less than a week, I would focus on getting your board done first!
All the best,
Terik

Return to “Preparing for the Science Fair”