Mentor letter

Ask specific questions about preparing for a science fair, such as: judging, how to set up your display board, preparing a presentation, preparing for questions...

Moderator: berkeleywebs

Gizmogirl
Project Question: The Correlation of severe asthma symptoms and phsychological stress among High School Students
Project Due Date: February 2, 2009
Project Status: I am just starting

Mentor letter

Post by Gizmogirl »

When writing my mentor letter should I talk to the mentor a couple of times via email or phone before I actually ask him/her to meet me. I would have a better peice of mind by actually talking to the person first before an actual meet even though I have researched them. I was thinking about talking about his/her work and relate it to what I am trying to achieve then I would talk about my research and competitions then ask about their experience with the subject along with any information that they could give me. After that conversation then I would ask if they knew about anyone that could help me. What are your opinions?
tdaly
Former Expert
Project Question: N/A
Project Due Date: N/A
Project Status: Not applicable

Post by tdaly »

There is no set recipe for talking to or finding your mentor. The ideas you have put forth sound excellent. My advice: Don't worry about the best way to talk to someone; JUST DO IT!
All the best,
Terik
Louise
Former Expert

Re: Mentor letter

Post by Louise »

Gizmogirl wrote:I would have a better peice of mind by actually talking to the person first before an actual meet even though I have researched them.
While I agree with what Terik said, I also want to add that you shouldn't be afraid to meet someone. I assume all your mentor choices are teachers (or professors). They'll meet you at school during business hours. Lots of people will be around. The mentor probably won't even close his/her office door, so people walking by can see in. You can also ask to meet with someone else in the lab working on the area you are interested in, so someone else will be in the meeting

Louise
ChrisG
Former Expert
Project Question: n/a
Project Due Date: n/a
Project Status: Not applicable

Post by ChrisG »

What is your concern about meeting a potential mentor right away? I'm not sure if it relates to personal safety, strategy, or feeling shy. I think Louise addressed the issues of personal safety. If you feel shy to be dealing with professionals in an unfamiliar work setting, that is normal. With a mentor who is a good match for you, that anxiety should fade quickly once you meet them. If you think it might be a better strategy to wait a while before meeting them, I'd agree with Terik, and I'd also reiterate what I said in your other thread: most researchers will be glad to meet with you whenever they have the time. Finding time can be a challenge, so start soon!

Return to “Preparing for the Science Fair”