Urgently Needed! Organophosphates...

Ask specific questions about preparing for a science fair, such as: judging, how to set up your display board, preparing a presentation, preparing for questions...

Moderator: berkeleywebs

asnhs_archimedes
Project Question: Snake Plant: Anti-venum Agent
Project Due Date: August 25,2008
Project Status: I am just starting

Urgently Needed! Organophosphates...

Post by asnhs_archimedes »

Hello,
I have some questions about our new research project entitled: "Termite's Nest Fungus: Bioremediating Agent Against Organophosphates in Agricultural Land Areas"... My question is.. What is the name/scientific name of that fungus that is present in the termite's nest? What specific organophosphates that are widely used in the Philippines? What can you suggest about our title? I need your reply urgently sir/madam.. our science fair is fast approaching and i don't have any studies yet because our first study was rejected by our adviser because Anti-venom is too much dangerous for us according to her :roll: . Can you make a background of the study for me with its sources? Please send some related studies and literature about this study. Please help me as soon as possible experts... Thank you very much!!! :D :D :D

:wink: Jaycee :wink:
tdaly
Former Expert
Project Question: N/A
Project Due Date: N/A
Project Status: Not applicable

Re: Urgently Needed! Organophosphates...

Post by tdaly »

asnhs_archimedes,

Since you posted your question twice, I have deleted the duplicate topic. Having your questions scattered on two different topics makes helping you more difficult for the Experts. Please keep all your questions about your project on this topic.

Thank you.
All the best,
Terik
barretttomlinson
Former Expert

Post by barretttomlinson »

Hi Jaycee,

Your questions are so broadly framed that I have had problems answering them. I found this survey document that may help you narrow down the species of termite that interests you:

http://www.israbat.ac.ma/Termite/Document%202.pdf

I am guessing that chlorpyrifos is the organophosphate compound of interest to you, though I have no way of knowing this for sure. I found at least one reference to fungi metabolizing this compound:

http://books.google.com/books?id=n-Jkpa ... #PPA138,M1

My impression is that you will have to do some serious research to first pin down the species of termites of interest to you and the fungi type of interest, and the pesticide of interest. When you know these it should be much easier to look for studies on the metabolism of the pesticide by the specific fungus of interest.

This sounds like an exciting project that could have real importance to people. I wish you every success with it!

Best wishes,

Barrett Tomlinson
barretttomlinson
Former Expert

Post by barretttomlinson »

Hi,

Here is a paper marginally related to your question. It investigated the degradation of chlorpyrifos in soils and found it enhanced by certain bacteria(apparently not fungi) found in some Austrailian soils. This interested me because of the report I saw reporting that chlorpyrifos had become less effective against termites in some Austrailian areas.

http://aem.asm.org/cgi/reprint/69/9/5198.pdf

Return to “Preparing for the Science Fair”