Questions for Terik Daly

Ask specific questions about preparing for a science fair, such as: judging, how to set up your display board, preparing a presentation, preparing for questions...

Moderator: berkeleywebs

dwk017
Project Question: n/a
Project Due Date: n/a
Project Status: Not applicable

Questions for Terik Daly

Post by dwk017 »

Hi, I just have a couple of questions for Terik Daly. His projects, which I viewed on google images, interest me a great amount. I am curious to see how he developed this idea for a project, what classes he is taking at his school, and if he could give me an idea for a good complex project. He seems to be smart like all on here, but I would just like to know. =), thanks.
tdaly
Former Expert
Project Question: N/A
Project Due Date: N/A

Re: Questions for Terik Daly

Post by tdaly »

Hi dwk017,

Welcome to the Forums. I got the idea for my research after watching a NOVA special on Dr. Eugene Shoemaker and his wife Caroline. Dr. Shoemaker was involved in a lot of the pioneering work that established impact cratering as an active, ongoing, and important geologic process. After watching the show, I started to learn what I could about impact cratering and related fields of study, such as geology, astronomy, chemistry, and physics. I started with websites and encyclopedias, then progressed to college and graduate level textbooks, review papers, and eventually moved to focusing almost exclusively on research articles. This happened over a period of a few years, mind you. Eventually it got the point where I was familiar enough with the literature to have a sense of what questions needed to be answered and so then set off rather brazenly to answer them. As I’m sure ChrisG can attest, my first impact-related project was not the most refined or rigorous project in the world, but with each passing year I increased in skill and technical ability.

As far as classes I took in high school, in general I took the most rigorous and challenging courses I could, including honors and AP classes. With regards to math and science, that means I took algebra, geometry, precalculus/trigonometry, calculus, statistics, biology, chemistry, physics, oceanology, and advanced research. I am currently in college where I am studying geology with an emphasis in planetary studies, which grossly translates into taking courses in math, chemistry, physics, geology, astronomy, and geography. I am also involved in research related to NASA’s Return to the Moon program and, of course, chemical speciation in meteorite impacts.

As far as ideas for a complex project, that is something that only you can answer. My advice is to find something you are passionately interested in, learn as much as you can about that something, and then ask yourself what questions need to be answered with regards to that topic. Here is some more concrete advice: https://www.sciencebuddies.org/science- ... 2008.shtml

Let me know if I can be of further help; good luck on your project!
All the best,
Terik
dwk017

Post by dwk017 »

Alright, thanks for answering.

What do you plan for a career? Do you plan to do some further research and possibly glean a Ph.D? What honors and AP classes did you take specifically?
You should make a YouTube account, if you do not already have one, and make some videos about meteorites and whatnot.

Well, Thanks!
tdaly
Former Expert

Post by tdaly »

dwk017,

I do plan to go on and get a Ph.D. in planetary science and continue to study the wonderful realm called our Solar System. Research is something that I love, so at this point I intend to pursue a career in research, which will provide me with an ongoing set of challenging and interesting problems to solve.

As far as AP and Honors classes I took during high school, I took honors biology, chemistry, physics, and English and then AP Biology, Calculus, Statistics, and US History. Your high school may offer additional AP and Honors classes and I would encourage you to take them if you are able to.

I don't have any YouTube videos, but you may enjoy this video of a bolide streaking across the Canadian night sky: http://antwrp.gsfc.nasa.gov/apod/ap081125.html
All the best,
Terik
dwk017

Post by dwk017 »

Wow very nice. I saw that video before, but it was very interesting.
How did you perform on your SATs and/or ACTs? Have you taken Mensa into consideration if you have heard of it?
Are you also at a state school studying?
Also, if not too much trouble, could you give me a couple weird planetary/astronomy terms that I could possible try for a username for some activities.

Thanks.
dwk017

Post by dwk017 »

Also, is a name change possible for this server? Do you have a YouTube account? You just said you didn't have any videos.
tdaly
Former Expert

Post by tdaly »

Hi dwk017,

I took both the SAT and ACT while in high school and did well on both. I would strongly recommend taking both exams because they are very different from one another; you may perform better on one than on the other. I am attending a private university at the moment, not a state school. A few planetary science/astronomy-related words that come to mind include coesite, the name of a high pressure polymorph of quartz, and bolide, a term used whose definition varies depending on who you ask (geologists and astronomers, for example, use the term in slightly different ways).

You're questions are good ones, but they are starting to move beyond the realms of this discussion board. You see, the posting of personal information on these boards is prohibited. For example, posting of email addresses, instant messaging IDs, personal websites, phone numbers, other usernames, etc. is not allowed. As you start to ask more and more detailed questions, it becomes increasingly difficult for me to answer them.
All the best,
Terik
dwk017

Post by dwk017 »

Okay, sorry. I didn't think a YouTube account was too personal.
I am currently trying to think of a planetary project for next year's science fair and this year's research.
Sorry again.

Thanks!
tdaly
Former Expert

Post by tdaly »

dwk017,

No need to be sorry; I just wanted to make sure that you understood the rules of the Forums. I also just realized that I didn't answer your question about changing your username on this discussion board. You can re-register with a new email address and create a new account with a new username; however, I am not aware of a way to change your username without creating a new account.

If you're trying to think of a planetary science-related topic for your science fair project, I would suggest doing a couple of things. I'm not sure what grade you are in, so some of these may be more applicable than others. First, take a look at these Project Ideas, which are related to planetary science topics. You can use these ideas as is or use them as springboards to get your creative juices flowing and develop your own project.

https://www.sciencebuddies.org/science- ... nomy.shtml
https://www.sciencebuddies.org/science- ... logy.shtml
https://www.sciencebuddies.org/science- ... here.shtml

The second thing I would do is to start learning as much as you can about the topics in planetary science that you find the most interesting. As you start to learn more and more about these things, you will probably find that ideas for a science fair project start forming in your head.

Keep us informed of how things go! It sounds like you are off to a great start.
All the best,
Terik
dwk017

Post by dwk017 »

Thanks, I am currently in 11th grade.
I'll take a look at these project ideas and give you some feedback.

I appreciate it very much.

http://www.us.mensa.org/AM/Template.cfm?Section=Join

I am sure you could qualify for Mensa because of your high level of intellect. There is a practice test, which can be found Here -> http://www.mensa.org/index0.php?page=12

Hope to hear back from you soon.
tdaly
Former Expert

Post by tdaly »

Hi dwk017,

I'm glad to hear that you are looking into some ideas for projects. I would be glad to give you some feedback on them and help you develop your project.
All the best,
Terik
dwk017

Post by dwk017 »

What jobs are there available for a person with a Ph.D in planetary science?
How was your Christmas?
tdaly
Former Expert

Post by tdaly »

Hello dwk017,

Yes, there are many jobs for people who have a PhD degree in planetary science. Most of these jobs involve research of some kind with either a university, government organization (e.g., NASA, the USGS, etc), or another research institution (e.g. the Southwest Research Institute). How is your project coming? Have you been able to nail down a topic yet?
All the best,
Terik

Return to “Preparing for the Science Fair”