punkette

Having trouble finding a project mentor

Postby punkette » Mon Aug 01, 2005 1:50 pm

Hello everyone! I am going into 8th grade this fall. I love science, and hope to grasp at any opportunities I get to learn more, including science fairs. I hope that this year I will make it into the California State Fair. Last year, I learned of the SFBASF and due to the lack of time, decided to submit my 6th grade project! It was an amazing learning experience nonetheless, and I hope to develop a new project in time for this year's fair. From my first SFBASF, I learned something so important from the top projects: having a mentor. So since 7th grade, I have been trying to find a science mentor. Last year during science fair season, I tried asking my science teacher about getting a mentor, but instead of the responses I was expecting, he was concerned that I was "getting too much help" and I never wanted to discuss it with him since.

Honestly, I do not wish to find a mentor so that I'll have a winning project made for me (not that he or she would agree to anyways!). Despite not having a mentor last year when I was developing a project for my school fair (it was held after the SFBASF), I successfully completed the project and won first place at my school. However, I couldn't help but imagine how much more I could have done and how much more I could have learned if I had a mentor whom I could get even more resources and who knew so much more than I did.

It would be a dream come true for me to find a mentor. I tried emailing many professors in the past (as I have heard several participants do), but had not realized how busy they were at the time and therefore I did not get any responses. Now I'm stuck and don't know where else I can go. Can anyone offer any suggestions and advice? Thank you so much!!

davidkallman
Former Expert

Re: Having trouble finding a project mentor

Postby davidkallman » Thu Aug 04, 2005 11:57 am

Hi punkette!

I like your pluck.

In addition to my one day a week on the Science Buddies bulletin board (Thursdays), I may be interested in being your mentor.

Tell me more:

- do you have a project in mind?
- do you intend to work with a team of other students?
- do you intend to work within the Science Buddies framework?

Please let me know what you have in mind, and I'll let you know.

Thanks.
Cheers!

Dave

punkette

Postby punkette » Fri Aug 05, 2005 12:01 pm

Wow, I am so excited to hear that!

- I do not yet have a topic in mind yet (I'm currently still looking), though I may certainly find one sooner if necessary.

- No, I do not intend to work with a team (I usually prefer to do science projects individually).

- I do not fully understand what the Science Buddies framework is? Could you explain what you mean, or where I could find more information on that framework?

I'm not sure if that's enough information, so please let me know! Thank you so much!

matthewmulanax
Former Expert

Postby matthewmulanax » Sun Aug 07, 2005 10:03 am

Punkette:

Keep up the good work. This site will help answer your questions about the science buddies program. Please check each of the sections -

http://www.sciencebuddies.org/.

Working with a mentor and the ask an expert board will connect you with experts in the physical, biological and social sciences. This network is able to direct and guide students through the science project process.
When you have questions please use the ask an expert board.

Matt Mulanax

Courtney

More advice on finding a mentor

Postby Courtney » Wed Sep 21, 2005 9:27 pm

Hi Punkette and all others in need of a mentor,

Absolutely you should feel free to seek help and advice using the Ask an Expert forum. We have a great group of science and engineering professionals like Matt and David who are here to help you.

I also would like to point out some other ways that students can find mentors. We have an article that explains how to find your own mentor if you need more assistance than can easily be provided on Ask an Expert or if you want to work with someone in person.

Check out our HOW TO FIND A MENTOR page at this link:
http://www.sciencebuddies.org/mentoring ... tors.shtml

Courtney Corda
Science Buddies Staff

punkette

Postby punkette » Wed Sep 21, 2005 9:32 pm

Wow, thank you so much for your suggestions, it was very helpful!

Return to “Preparing for the Science Fair”