I really don't know if this is good enough!

Ask specific questions about preparing for a science fair, such as: judging, how to set up your display board, preparing a presentation, preparing for questions...

Moderator: berkeleywebs

Tracker82

I really don't know if this is good enough!

Post by Tracker82 »

Hello and Thank you for taking the time to read this. I am currently in 9th grade Biology and I hope to spice up my project a little bit, but I need a little help. At this moment my project is to take 130 green bean seeds and plant them in cut in half 2 liter bottles with soil. Then use 3 types of different acids to water them with. My control will be 10 bean seeds off the side to use water on, then break up the 120 into 10 seeds each. I will water 40 seeds with Carbonic Acid with 4 different PH levels of 1,3,5,7 then water 40 with Nitric acid with the same phs levels, after that will be sulferic acid with the same PHs. All of this will be going on at the same, but I reallly want to know how I can change it to make it better to get accepted into the Science Fair. PLEASE HELP ME!
hostsha
Former Expert

Post by hostsha »

Hi Tracker 82,

For science fair project, you need to follow scientific method of forming hypothesis, testing hypothesis, collecting data, verify the hypothesis and conclude the experimental data.

1. What is your hypothesis for the question on acid rain?
2. Experiment is planned well. But test it for hypothesis. Looking germination of seeds at various pH level? If so, try with carbonic acid alone first. If not define hypothesis clearly on what you are measuring for growth, so that you could use all three different kind of acids.

I hope this helps.
HostSha
Ask an Expert
Tracker82

Post by Tracker82 »

my hypothesis would be If the lower the PH level the less it will grow, but how can I make it better? because there is a lot of science projects to do with plants out there...
hostsha
Former Expert

Post by hostsha »

You need to write a procedure for your planned experiment, to test the pH level required for growth. I think you need to test with one acid at a time. I suggest carbonic acid is good to begin with.

Without you trying, you can't make it better!
HostSha
Ask an Expert
Tracker82

Post by Tracker82 »

so your saying start it now, but don't do it all the way? The full project is due by the end of december and I was hoping to take about 4 weeks, should I try it out now befrore I start? Is that what your saying?
hostsha
Former Expert

Post by hostsha »

I would like you to get started with project as you planned. But instead of using all three acids with various pH level does not fit into your hypothesis. By narrowing it down to one acid with various pH level will answer question on plant growth.

Allow the seeds to germinate first with watering same amount of water, same type of soil and same amount of sunlight with experimental control of water alone without any acid.
HostSha
Ask an Expert
Tracker82

Post by Tracker82 »

I see I understand, so I would just use 1 acid instead of 3. but is there anyway I can make it stand out to be accepted into the science fair?
hostsha
Former Expert

Post by hostsha »

Here's the link given to you for science fair standard. If you follow the procedure and rules according the grade and fair level, there isn't any problem for accepting into science fair.

https://www.sciencebuddies.org/mentorin ... ards.shtml
HostSha
Ask an Expert
Tracker82

Post by Tracker82 »

yes but isn't there a lot of botany projects?
hostsha
Former Expert

Post by hostsha »

Science fair project is judged on Topic, background research, experimental procedure, data analysis and how it is displayed. If you have all of these areas covered, I don't see problem with your topic.
I have my students doing botany projects just as you have yours planned.
Do data analysis part of the project and display it well. Take pictures as needed during growth for presentation!
HostSha
Ask an Expert
Tracker82

Post by Tracker82 »

thank you so much! I hope that I will succeed in this thanks for all your help.

Return to “Preparing for the Science Fair”