LeilaVafaie

What is a Home Test Kit and where do you get one?

Postby LeilaVafaie » Thu Oct 20, 2005 4:30 pm

I don't understand this whole science fair thing. I have to do it though and I need a 'home test kit' to test the samples of soil for lead.
Materials & Procedure 10/21/05
Rough Draft containing:
question, hypothesis, research, materials, data, procedure 11/11/05
Research paper: 11/28/05
bibliography, backboard, log book
Presentation 11/28/05

LeilaVafaie

I CANNOT do this!

Postby LeilaVafaie » Thu Oct 20, 2005 4:38 pm

I am so confused about this ISEF science fair thing. I can't use ANYTHING with a backbone! Maybe I should get a new science fair question...? Anything to help me before tomorrow please! Oh, I need to be patient, sorry! Ahh! I am going crazy with this thing, please help. Thank you.
Last edited by LeilaVafaie on Thu Oct 20, 2005 6:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Rough Draft containing:

Presentation 11/28/05

tdaly
Former Expert

Postby tdaly » Thu Oct 20, 2005 5:18 pm

LeilaVafaie

The first thing is this: calm down. You will do just fine on your science fair project. Relax.

It would be helpful if you were to share with me what your question/problem is. This way I can help you find specific answers to the questions that you have.

I can not reccomend a supplier for home test kits for lead until I know more about your project.

Regarding ISEF: From your post, I assume that you know what ISEF is and what it takes to get ISEF. The ISEF rules do not say that you cannot use animals with backbones. BUT, if you DO use animals with backbones, you must go through a process known as SRC. SRC makes sure that you aren't doing anything dangerous to yourself or the animals.

If you have any other questions, please ask. I can give you more specific advice about ISEF and animals with backbones if you can let me know what you are planning to use animals for, what your experiment is, and all those wonderful details.

Remember: Don't stress! Relax! Science fair is a lot of work (especially if you are aiming for ISEF), but it is also really fun!
All the best,
Terik

LeilaVafaie

Thank you!

Postby LeilaVafaie » Thu Oct 20, 2005 6:01 pm

:D Thank you! I just found out what a home test kit is, my aunt is a scientist and she helped out. I finished my project already; but I haven't done the data sheet, research paper, and conclusion! Thank you, I feel a lot better now about the science fair. My teacher doesn't want us to do anything with a backbone.

:!: My problem is... my research paper. One of the questions I need to answer is: What levels of lead are hazardous?
I tried using a search engine but it didn't work out. :?

My experiment is testing soil for lead.
I am calm now, and tired...
Also for the 3rd time in this post, thank you for helping.
:lol: I have found out some interesting things about science and now I think I understand about what I have to do. I have the ISEF website now, from looking at the other post.

Rough Draft containing:

Presentation 11/28/05

tdaly
Former Expert

Postby tdaly » Thu Oct 20, 2005 8:24 pm

I am glad that things are working out for you. As to the amounts of lead that are considered hazardous: the EPA sets limits for things like heavy metal contamination, so you check the EPA's website or give someone at the EPA a call. Your local water district may also have this type of information.
All the best,
Terik

Return to “Preparing for the Science Fair”