Ideas for a project

Questions related to finding and working with a mentor, finding an idea, etc.

Moderators: AmyCowen, kgudger, bfinio, MadelineB, Moderators

cardiffhub
Project Question: Interested in competing in ISEF
Project Due Date: early february
Project Status: I am just starting

Ideas for a project

Post by cardiffhub »

Hello! My school does the Intel ISEF science fair, and I wanted to participate this year, but have had a very hard time looking for ideas for a project. I'm very interested in math, physics, chemistry, biology, and computer science (quite broad, I know). If anyone has any idea for things I could look into to get a project idea, that would be great! EDIT: just realized this could be pertinent: I'm in ninth grade but take some advanced classes, especially in math, so I may be able to handle stuff with a little higher difficulty.
tdaly
Former Expert
Project Question: N/A
Project Due Date: N/A
Project Status: Not applicable

Re: Ideas for a project

Post by tdaly »

Hi cardiffhub,

I apologize that it has taken so long for someone to get back to you! Picking a topic and project that you find very, very interesting is a key part of a successful science fair project. I would suggest taking a look at the Topic Selection Wizard here on the Science Buddies website:

https://www.sciencebuddies.org/science- ... gister.php

It will ask you 26 questions that gauge your interest in different areas of science. Then, it will pop up with a bunch of Project Ideas that match your interests. If you want to do a high-level ISEF project, many (if not all) of these project ideas may be to simple as written. But, they will get the wheels in your head spinning about possible topics, and you can also use one of these ideas as the launchpad for your own, original project. If a particular Project Idea sounds really interesting, read the background information section and see what concepts or ideas are most interesting to you. Those are some topics that you might pursue for a project. In addition, many of the Project Ideas have a "variations" section, which might prompt additional ideas. Even if you don't use one of the Project Ideas as a starting point for your project, browsing the projects suggested by the Topic Selection Wizard will help you find specific topics and ideas you are interested in pursuing.
All the best,
Terik

Return to “Getting Started”