approaching the lecturer

Questions related to finding and working with a mentor, finding an idea, etc.

Moderators: AmyCowen, kgudger, bfinio, MadelineB, Moderators

arula-r
Project Question: I'm just not sure whether to study Mott insulators and superconductivity or collisions between electron beams and different lasers. I'm interested in both, but I'm not sure which is more feasible. Sorry if this isn't the type of question you guys receive, I'm very new to this site.
Project Due Date: September-October
Project Status: Not applicable

approaching the lecturer

Post by arula-r »

I know I want to conduct research in the topic of superconductivity. A lecture is being held on superconductivity at a nearby university by an expert in the field this Thursday and I believe it's the perfect opportunity to try and get a mentor. What should I do? I have a list of questions, and I'm going to read the lecturer's published papers in the coming few days but I'm so scared and nervous about approaching them...I've never approached a person like this before about a topic I'm so interested in and I just kind of need advice on how not to look like a blubbering idiot in front of them and the best way to maybe keep in touch with them...sorry haha I'm just really interested in this subject and I would love to study it in a laboratory setting.
dippydora96
Project Question: I study Biomedical Science.
Project Due Date: N/A
Project Status: Not applicable

Re: approaching the lecturer

Post by dippydora96 »

Hi there,

What I would like to suggest you do is write down, or type up (and print off) all of your questions before you go so that you don't forget to ask anything! :D The lecturer won't mind if you have to refer to your piece of paper, they'll probably be very happy and impressed that you have shown interest in this topic.
Like you have said, reading the notes before you go to the lecture will be very useful, as you will know what to expect before you attend. If you have any friends with a similar interest in the subject, ask them to go along with you. They may want to speak to the lecturer with you, that would mean that you are not on your own when you approach the lecturer after the session!
Maybe try and rehearse what you are going to say. Start by saying your name and how old you are and why you would like to study this subject within a lab environment. Approach the lecturer at the end of the session as he or she may answer some of your questions throughout the lecture.
Asking the lecturer for their email address or a contact phone number should also be fine as it gives you an opportunity to ask further questions at a later date.

I hope this has helped!

Return to “Getting Started”