Starting the research

Questions related to finding and working with a mentor, finding an idea, etc.

Moderators: AmyCowen, kgudger, bfinio, MadelineB, Moderators

Shivam1239

Starting the research

Post by Shivam1239 »

I have selected my topic for ISEF but there is a problem. I do not know from where should I start. Because there is a vast range of information on my topic. But I am confused . Please help me in starting the research .Please tell the best way to start the research.
tdaly
Former Expert
Project Question: N/A
Project Due Date: N/A
Project Status: Not applicable

Re: Starting the research

Post by tdaly »

Hi Shivam1239,

Choosing a topic can be difficult, so hooray for finding a topic that interests you!

But, narrowing down the topic to a specific question or problem to be solved can also be challenging. It will be easier for us to help you if you can provide a bit more information. For example, what is the topic you have selected for your project? What got you interested in that topic?

I'll get an email when you post a reply, and you can expect me to respond within 1 business day of when you post your reply.
All the best,
Terik
Shivam1239

Post by Shivam1239 »

My topic is '' Increasing the efficiency of antibiotics against antibiotic resistant bacteria."

"I got interested in this project when I caught fever due to common cold. During my fever my family members started to gave my advice that I should take Antibiotics. Thanks to my immune system I became healthy soon without taking the Antibiotics. This incident made me to Google Antibiotics. On Google I found that due to misconceptions many people around the world take Antibiotics in viral infections. This unnecessary dose introduces the antibiotics resistant bacteria which spreads in the community.The main problem arises when people having antibiotics resistant bacteria get some serious bacterial infections which can only be treated through Antibiotics.This resistant causes the Antibiotics to fail against the bacteria and as a result millions of people die every year especially in underdeveloped and developing countries."

So, I want to help by creating something that can increase the efficiency of the antibiotics and save millions of lives every year. :) :) 8)
THANKS FOR EVERY HELP...... :o
tdaly
Former Expert

Post by tdaly »

Hi Shivam1239,

Thank you for this added information; it's quite helpful. It sounds like you are quite passionate about issues relating to antibiotic resistance.

One of the first things to do is find out what the rules are for the science fair you are planning to participate in. The Intel ISEF, for example, has rules that place restrictions on and govern projects that work with antibiotic-resistant bacteria (see below).

https://student.societyforscience.org/p ... cal-agents

Find out what the rules are for your science fair so that you make sure that your project stays within those safety rules.

To work safely with these bacteria, you will need to work under the supervision of a lab scientist. Do you have anyone with whom you are already working? If not, then find out what sorts of institutions or labs are in your area.

In addition - and this is important - continue to read up on antibiotic resistance and how antibiotics work. The more information you aquire, the better prepared you will be to work on the project. As you read, pay attention to what questions you have. Then try to find the answers to your questions. If you cannot find the answer to one of your questions, then perhaps that question could be the basis for your science project.

Post back as you have other questions.
All the best,
Terik
Shivam1239

Post by Shivam1239 »

How my project can be an award winning project ?
What do judges want to see in a project ?
tdaly
Former Expert

Post by tdaly »

Hi shivam1239,

The "Advanced Project Guide" has suggestions for doing a top-level science project. Definitely read through the articles in that guide, if you haven't already done so. (Full disclosure - I was involved in creating some of these materials.)

https://www.sciencebuddies.org/science- ... ndex.shtml

In particular, look at the articles called "How to Be Successful at a Top Science Competition", "From a Judge's Perspective: Tips for a Successful Scientific Interview ", and "Judging Tips for Top Science Competitions".

I've been involved at top competitions from many different angles over the years as (1) a participant (and award winner) at the Intel ISEF, Intel STS (now Regeneron STS), Siemens Competition, and Junior Science and Humanities Symposium, (2) as the grand awards judging chair at an ISEF-affiliated regional fair, and (3) as a mentor to students competing in (and winning awards at) the Intel ISEF.

Based on that experience, there is no one thing that every judge wants to see. Different judges will assess each project in a slightly different way. In general, however, judges are looking for a project that advances the state of knowledge in a particular subfield, is clearly the result of the students' work (as opposed to something that the mentor did), that is done in a detailed and thorough manner, and -- don't underestimate this -- presented in a clear and compelling way. Your passion matters, too. The "From a Judge's Perspective: Tips for a Successful Scientific Interview " article is quite accurate, based on my experiences.

Post back as you have other questions!
All the best,
Terik
Shivam1239

Post by Shivam1239 »

My project has biological risks and There are also a lot of rules regarding this topic. And my any wrong step can disqualify me from ISEF.
So, should I go with this topic or not ?
tdaly
Former Expert

Post by tdaly »

Hi Shivam1239,

It's important to make sure that you obey the Intel ISEF rules exactly. If you have any questions about any aspect of the rules, make sure to ask a member of your local SRC (scientific review committee). As you mention, breaking the rules can disqualify you. However, as long as you follow the rules and your project passes SRC review, then you can do the project. Ulimately, deciding whether or not to do this particular project is up to you. If you are worried about breaking a rule and being disqualified, then perhaps a different project would be a good option. However, as long as you follow the rules and keep in touch with your local SRC as questions arise, then you should be able to do the project.
All the best,
Terik
Shivam1239

Post by Shivam1239 »

What I wanted to do is now done. I wanted to fight the antibiotics resistance but a recent breakthrough has done this. Here is it's link:
http://www.sciencealert.com/the-science ... mitstart=1

Now, after this breakthrough I don't know what can I do?
Please help.
tdaly
Former Expert

Post by tdaly »

Hi Shivam1239,

It can feel frustrating when you are working on something and then find out that someone else has done something similar. However, in this case there is definitely still more work to be done on antibiotic resistance. Unless you were specifically planning to design star-shaped polymers for your project, then whatever you were already planning to do would likely still make a fine science project. As the blog article says, there are still a lot of steps between what Lam et al. published and making a successful therapy. So, my advice would be to move ahead with what you were planning to do.
All the best,
Terik
Shivam1239

Post by Shivam1239 »

If my project is based on a device then can I make its simulation only or I have to make that device ?
tdaly
Former Expert

Post by tdaly »

Hi Shivam1239,

Depending on what your device is, making a simulation of it might be a successful approach. How successful that approach might be will depend on the device you are simulating, as well as how sophisticated your simulation is. It's common for pieces of equipment to be designed and tested digitally before they are actually built. This testing can reveal potential problems with the design that might not be otherwise apparent. Can you please talk in more detail about the device you are wanting to simulate and how you plan to do the simulation?
All the best,
Terik

Return to “Getting Started”