Trouble finding an idea

Questions related to finding and working with a mentor, finding an idea, etc.

Moderators: AmyCowen, kgudger, bfinio, MadelineB, Moderators

SallyM

Trouble finding an idea

Post by SallyM »

Hi, I'm a 10th grade student and I've recently been looking into the possibility of entering the ISEF affiliated science fair in March - assuming I even have enough time left to develop a sound idea. Honestly, I am a picky person and it's frustrating trying to find a really good topic to dive into - even more a novel development in that field that is ISEF worthy. I'm drawn to human molecular biology and nanotechnology, particularly neurobiology and cancer biology (although I'm not very knowledgable about those areas). I'm also interested in bionic research, specifically aiding the blind, although I'm not experienced with engineering/robotics/high level math. Overall, I want to develop a novel technique in these fields of science that could potentially help a lot of people. Which branch of science seems the most promising? How do I decide which topic I should learn more about? Where do I start? How do I get "inspired" and develop an award winning idea? How do I know that I am not wasting my time and that I should look into another idea? Do I even have enough time?
Thank you for your time and help.
SallyM
MadelineB
Project Question: Interested in volunteering as an expert
Project Due Date: n/a
Project Status: Not applicable

Re: Trouble finding an idea

Post by MadelineB »

Hi SallyM and welcome to Science Buddies,
Have you looked at some of the project ideas in the Science Buddies Project Ideas:
https://www.sciencebuddies.org/science- ... deas.shtml

You can search through the over 1000 projects using your suggested fields. When you find a project that sounds interesting, look at the overview/summary and you will see several links to more information on that topic. Reading the information at those links might help you narrow down your interests. Also, follow the links show in those links, and you will discover a lot information!

You might also read through the Science Buddies Project Guide
https://www.sciencebuddies.org/science- ... ndex.shtml

This will help you to structure your ideas and maybe also help you to find areas where you want to focus your interests.

Be sure to let us know if you have more questions!

Return to “Getting Started”