Getting started with an advanced project

Questions related to finding and working with a mentor, finding an idea, etc.

Moderators: AmyCowen, kgudger, bfinio, MadelineB, Moderators

sciencenerd393

Getting started with an advanced project

Post by sciencenerd393 »

I'm currently a tenth grader that has wanted to get involved in advanced science fairs for a long time, but have no idea where to start. Despite reading as much as I can about starting a project, I seem to get nowhere. Nobody can particularly help me with any idea of where to go at the moment. I am not sure what level of research is required for these competitions, how to start, how much time it will take to compose a good entry or anything. After I have an idea, where do I go from there? For the longest time I have aspired to do an advanced science fair. The problem is is that I have no connections or have not done any science fairs in my life considering the opportunity never arose. I am particularly knowledgeable about science to a considerable extent. Is it even possible for me to enter with a quality project considering how inexperienced I am?
tdaly
Former Expert
Project Question: N/A
Project Due Date: N/A
Project Status: Not applicable

Re: Getting started with an advanced project

Post by tdaly »

Hi sciencenerd393,

It sounds like you really want to do a project but that you are also feeling frustrated with trying to start one. What areas of science have you been reading about? What is the general field or topic you are interested in? Speaking from personal experience, finding a good, testable question can be one of the hardest parts of a science project.

What grade are you in? What country are you in? (Please don't provide any detailed information about where you live; just the country. It's one of the rules of the forums that helps keep everyone safe.) The country you live in will affect which competitions you can enter.

Post back with a few more details about what your ideas are, what grade you are in, etc. and let's take it from there.
All the best,
Terik

Return to “Getting Started”