No Area For College Level Questions

Questions related to finding and working with a mentor, finding an idea, etc.

Moderators: AmyCowen, kgudger, bfinio, MadelineB, Moderators

TheWhizardOfOz

No Area For College Level Questions

Post by TheWhizardOfOz »

Hello all! I am new to these forums, and am a college level student, however even though I was asked initially about this information and there was an option to select it, I do not see anywhere in the list of topics where advanced level science questions should be posted. I am going to go ahead and post it here, and if it needs to be moved, I am sure that someone will direct me where I should post it. So, here goes nothing...

My question is more of a theoretical one, although actually doing this experiment MAY be within our capabilities in the not-too-far-off future. If you were to take conducting material and create a hollow toroid ouf of it, fill it with a ferrofluid that is also a conductor, wrap the toroid with a wire that conducts well in a pattern that would allow an AC to create a forward momentum in the fluid contained within the toroid, and cool it down using lasers, liquid helium, etc. to a point where we could get superconductivity out of the materials, and a superfluid state out of the internal ferrofluid, and get it rotating at incredible speeds, what could possibly happen?

Let me break down the different effects that, to my limited understanding at least, I am attempting to combine here...The superfluid/ferrofluid would be interacting with geometrical magnetic forces amplifying the strength of the magnetic force being created by the AC flowing through the wires wrapped around the outside of the toroid, and have almost zero friction and so could theoretically be sped up to the speed of light if the toroid were strong enough to withstand the centrifugal force. Also, the fluid would begin to become a superconductor itself as it is cooled closer to absolute zero and would begin to create its own electrical current that it would not be resisting due to this rotation of a magnetic force within a conductive metal that is wound. Also, the toroid itself as it is cooled would become a superconductor as it is cooled, allowing for the electricity flowing through the wiring wrapping it to interact not only with the fluid inside, but the toroid itself. The geometrical alignments of the fields generated, combined with the effects of superfluidity, combined with the effects of superconductivity, combined with the effects of quantum trapping (locking), combined with the rotation of the fluid inside of a coiled superconductor, etc all together would make for one heck of an effect, I would think... And this is my question to you. What would be the outcome of a setup like this? Insane output of electromagnetic energy? An electromagnetic field so strong that it would mimic a black hole for magnetism? A warping of space time? What are your thoughts on this thought experiment?

Obviously I understand creating somehthing of this magnitude would be impossible right now, and I am not 100% sure of all of the technical aspects of everything, however I would appreciate it if someone would humor me and tell me what they think might occur. Thanks for your time and consideration!

TheWhizardOfOz
MadelineB
Project Question: Interested in volunteering as an expert
Project Due Date: n/a
Project Status: Not applicable

Re: No Area For College Level Questions

Post by MadelineB »

Hello Whizard,
Science Buddies is specifically for students in grades K-12 who are working on science projects. So there is no forum at Science Buddies for college-level questions. However, you will find many appropriate forums on the internet.
Thank you.

Return to “Getting Started”