Finding a mentor for ISEF and JSHS

Questions related to finding and working with a mentor, finding an idea, etc.

Moderators: AmyCowen, kgudger, bfinio, MadelineB, Moderators

fi_12

Finding a mentor for ISEF and JSHS

Post by fi_12 »

I'm currently looking for a mentor for my research project, but there are no professors in my area who are in the same field of study. I have found several possible professors working at fairly prestigious universities who live far away from me who are researching the same topic as I am, so how could I approach them in terms of asking for a mentorship or asking for help throughout my research process?
MadelineB
Project Question: Interested in volunteering as an expert
Project Due Date: n/a
Project Status: Not applicable

Re: Finding a mentor for ISEF and JSHS

Post by MadelineB »

You could write to those professors, including a summary of your research plan. Perhaps they will know someone closer to you who could help. They also might be willing to offer suggestions.

Let us know if this helps!
nguyenmccarty
Former Expert
Project Question: Ask an expert
Project Due Date: n/a
Project Status: Not applicable

Re: Finding a mentor for ISEF and JSHS

Post by nguyenmccarty »

I agree with MadelineB that just writing directly to people whose work interests you is a good place to start, since they may indeed know of colleagues who live closer to you. You could also think about how/whether your research interests might be adaptable for work that can be done remotely. For example, large datasets for analysis might be easily shared/accessed online, allowing you to collaborate with professors even if they live and work far from you.

Return to “Getting Started”