Mentorship

Questions related to finding and working with a mentor, finding an idea, etc.

Moderators: AmyCowen, kgudger, bfinio, MadelineB, Moderators

alakais391

Mentorship

Post by alakais391 »

Hello, I want to do a science fair project dealing with drone technology and artificial intelligence to submit for ISEF next year. I was looking to find a mentor, but now I am not sure whether to ask for mentorship due to the coronavirus. Should I still send my letter or no? Thank you. (I am currently in grade 11)
AmyCowen
Site Admin
Project Question: -
Project Due Date: -
Project Status: Not applicable

Re: Mentorship

Post by AmyCowen »

Hi - It can take a lot of asking to find a mentor like this. The pandemic does complicate things, too. There is still much we don't know about how things will look over the coming year for schools, businesses, and even science fairs.

I think it's fine to send your letter, but make sure that your letter indicates that you know opportunities for in-person mentorship (e.g., working in a lab, etc.) might not be possible.

For additional information about finding a mentor, see this resource: https://www.sciencebuddies.org/science- ... tem-mentor

Amy
Science Buddies
drmike

Post by drmike »

alakais391 wrote:Hello, I want to do a science fair project dealing with drone technology and artificial intelligence to submit for ISEF next year. I was looking to find a mentor, but now I am not sure whether to ask for mentorship due to the coronavirus. Should I still send my letter or no? Thank you. (I am currently in grade 11)
Hi, I think it is great that you are planning to enter the science fair project. Undoubtedly, we are in unprecedented times due to the Covid-19. Nevertheless, I think the last thing we should do is allow it to cause us to cease to pursue innovation in science. On the contrary, what we need most now is for scientists of all ages to continue to exercise their creativity and enthusiasm to solve today's issues (for, example testing methods for the Coronavirus) and those of tomorrow. I am sure there are many professionals out there that feel the same and would be honored to mentor you. Remember, the interruption to personal interaction is only temporary. We will soon be doing so again, albeit with an awareness that safety precautions must be included. Good luck with your search for a mentor and your project.
alakais391

Post by alakais391 »

Thank you, I won an award to conduct research at SMU for the Texas Governor's Science and Technology Champions Academy.

Return to “Getting Started”