Question about Genetics/BioStatistics related projects

Questions related to finding and working with a mentor, finding an idea, etc.

Moderators: AmyCowen, kgudger, bfinio, MadelineB, Moderators

jds4prez
Project Question: n/a
Project Due Date: n/a
Project Status: I am just starting

Question about Genetics/BioStatistics related projects

Post by jds4prez »

Hi,

I am doing some research based on cancer genetics. Is it ok to analyze the data available @ various websites (like oncomine.org, National Cancer Institute - SAGE etc) in a nove way and come up with conclusion and present it in science fair like SFBASF? Or do we "must" work in the lab at some research institute to conclude something?

TIA
staryl13
Former Expert
Project Question: Neuroregeneration
Project Due Date: N/A
Project Status: Not applicable

Re: Question about Genetics/BioStatistics related projects

Post by staryl13 »

Hi,
You are by no means obligated to work in a laboratory in order to enter science fairs like the one you hope to enter. That being said, many students do work in labs, though this does not prevent you from winning with a "home-made" project (I personally have seen many projects win without any laboratory involvement). After going to ISEF a couple years ago, I think that in order to do extremely well at your regional fair and beyond, you will need to offer more substantial analysis. Usually, these online tools can be extremely helpful in helping you to verify how aligned certain sequences are, and typically do not make up the data section for the entire project. For more info, you can check out another thread in which I posted about using these online tools -

https://www.sciencebuddies.org/mentorin ... lit=+blast

Hope this helps, and best of luck!
"There is a single light of science, and to brighten it anywhere is to brighten it everywhere." -Isaac Asimov

Return to “Getting Started”