Guidance needed for building electricity generating project

Questions related to finding and working with a mentor, finding an idea, etc.

Moderators: AmyCowen, kgudger, bfinio, MadelineB, Moderators

ardis
Project Question: generation of electricity from water, solar and wind resources such that one of them can be used when two other sources are not available. also a way is needed so that electricity produced can be stored for maximum time.
Project Due Date: 25th of november
Project Status: I am just starting

Guidance needed for building electricity generating project

Post by ardis »

I have an idea for my project which is generating electricity by water, wind and sunlight in such a way that electricity is always provided whether two of these sources are present or not. I was thinking of also adding mechanical energy to it by adding a machine such as a gymnasium cycle which produces electricity from mechanical energy when a person uses it for exercise. Also, I wanted a way in which I can store the electricity for longer.
I don't know where to start from and how can I build my project.

I would really appreciate if someone could give me a detailed guidance for my project. I don't have much time so please reply as soon as possible.
k4gfwgerry
Former Expert
Occupation: Retired Electronics Engineer from Motorola Solutions
Project Question: n/a
Project Due Date: n/a
Project Status: Not applicable

Re: Guidance needed for building electricity generating proj

Post by k4gfwgerry »

Your project has a very practical application in today's world. Generally the water, wind and exercise cycle energy can be harnessed by generators connected in parallel from the energy source to a battery or batteries which act to store the energy and buffer the output. Step up or step down transformers / power supplies will need to be used. Energy from the sun can be collected using a solar panel or panels which can also be connected to the batteries in parallel with the other energy sources. Again appropriate step up and step down transformers / power supplies need to be used. There are many such set-ups shown on the web. Good luck with your project.
Gerry Gruenbaum
Science Buddies "Ask an Expert" Volunteer
ardis
Project Question: generation of electricity from water, solar and wind resources such that one of them can be used when two other sources are not available. also a way is needed so that electricity produced can be stored for maximum time.
Project Due Date: 25th of november
Project Status: I am just starting

Re: Guidance needed for building electricity generating proj

Post by ardis »

thank you very much for your advice. :D

Return to “Getting Started”