Research plan for INTEL ISEF

Questions related to preparing to attend an advanced competition. Experts will answer your questions and provide advice based on their first hand experience competing at advanced competitions. Talk to other students who will be attending and prepare together.

Moderators: AmyCowen, kgudger, bfinio, MadelineB, Moderators

Minuoja
Project Question: n/a
Project Due Date: February 20th 2011: deadline to upload the written report
Project Status: I am just starting

Research plan for INTEL ISEF

Post by Minuoja »

Hi,

I am presently writing down my research plan to apply for INTEL. I have a question about it. In the instructions, it is written that the procedures should be written in DETAILS. I am not sure if what I have written is detailed enough, because I don't want it to be too long either. For example, here a paragraph:
Quantification of IFN-γ by ELISA

Levels of IFN-γ secreted by C57BL/6 cells were measured using an ELISA sandwich assay. Briefly, 96-well ELISA plates were coated with 100 µl/well of anti-IFN-γ antibody diluted (1/250) in 0.1M sodium carbonate buffer, pH 9.5 for 16 hr at 4°C. The plate was washed with phosphate buffered saline (PBS) containing 0.05% Tween (0.05% Tween/PBS), and the plate was blocked with PBS containing 10% FCS (10% FCS/PBS) (1h, 25°C). The plate was washed again with 0.05% Tween/PBS, and 100 µl of supernatant from C57BL/6 cells or IFN-γ standard, diluted in 10% FCS/PBS in duplicate were added and incubated (2h, 25°C). The plate was washed again with 0.05% Tween/PBS, and a dilution of biotinylated anti-mouse IgG antibody and HRP-conjugated streptavidin were added to each well (1h, 25°C). After washing, TMB substrate solution (100 µl/well) were added, and the reaction was stopped after 30 min. Absorbance was measured at 450 nm using an ELISA reader (Bio-Tek Instruments Inc., Winooski, VT).

In this paragraph, I haven't explained how the standards are prepared. Is it important or is it detailed enough?

Thank you!
Minuoja
Snobs3747
Former Expert
Project Question: To volunteer as an expert
Project Due Date: N/A
Project Status: Not applicable

Re: Research plan for INTEL ISEF

Post by Snobs3747 »

Hello, thanks for the great question!

To start off I'd like to say that your paragraph had great detail and reference to measurements (which is always good). I believe that you should mention how the standards are prepared, because that is definitely a part of the experiment and needs explaining. Once again the details are great in your paragraph, but if you would like to change it up, you could add a bit more explanation to steps. My science teachers in the past have always told me to write things as if a common person (not a science teacher) was reading it. HOwever, you are sending this to INTEL ISEF, so you can consider this suggestion and decide whether or not you want to do it.

I hope that helps!

-Snobs3747
Minuoja
Project Question: n/a
Project Due Date: February 20th 2011: deadline to upload the written report
Project Status: I am just starting

Re: Research plan for INTEL ISEF

Post by Minuoja »

Hi,

Thank you for your help! I've considered all of your suggestions and finished my report. Hopefully, I'll be selected for INTEL ISEF.

Thank you very much,

Minuoja

Return to “Preparing for the Competition”