ISEF Questions 2013

Questions related to preparing to attend an advanced competition. Experts will answer your questions and provide advice based on their first hand experience competing at advanced competitions. Talk to other students who will be attending and prepare together.

Moderators: AmyCowen, kgudger, bfinio, MadelineB, Moderators

themuonneutrino
Project Question: Magnetic field effects
Project Due Date: 30/04/2013
Project Status: I am finished with my experiment and analyzing the data

ISEF Questions 2013

Post by themuonneutrino »

Hello guys,

I'm preparing for the Intel ISEF at present and have a couple of questions:

How many research journals, on average, do participants refer to?

Are there any sites on the internet that are of help when gathering research journals? A lot of sites tend to require payment for access to the research papers.

Also:

Any tips for the layout, font etc for preparing my project report?

How long should the final report be? I've heard around the 50 page mark should suffice.

Thanks very much for your help! :)
JasonCui
Former Expert
Project Question: Registering as an Ask an Expert Mentor.
Project Due Date: 1/1/12
Project Status: I am conducting my research

Re: ISEF Questions 2013

Post by JasonCui »

Hey there!

Thank you so much for your question!
How many research journals, on average, do participants refer to?
There certainly is not a set amount of journals that one should refer too. I'm sure it differs from category to category, but it never hurts to have as many sources as possible!
Are there any sites on the internet that are of help when gathering research journals? A lot of sites tend to require payment for access to the research papers.
Your best bet would be the PubMed database. Although many journals require payment for access, there is a decent amount of journals you can access free of charge. Google Scholar has many options as well.
Any tips for the layout, font etc for preparing my project report?
I would refer to ISEF's official page for tips on layout and presentation. There are some good tips on here that include how to prepare your paper. As for the report, I'm not sure there is a length requirement, but I would check the website to be sure.

Hope this helps!
Jason

Return to “Preparing for the Competition”