Experimental Design and Data Table Chart

Questions related to preparing to attend an advanced competition. Experts will answer your questions and provide advice based on their first hand experience competing at advanced competitions. Talk to other students who will be attending and prepare together.

Moderators: AmyCowen, kgudger, bfinio, MadelineB, Moderators

Sai018
Project Question: Need help on creating a data table, that is related to Astronomy.
Project Due Date: January 12th, 2015
Project Status: I am finished with my experiment and analyzing the data

Experimental Design and Data Table Chart

Post by Sai018 »

I am in 9th Grade, someone please help me . I have looked everywhere but I couldn't find an answers. My topic is I am counting stars with a software I created. And i need the control, in this experiment. What is my data, I need to have data in a table and make it into a bar graph because I am comparing two things. I am comparing for which is better, a human counting stars or a computer counting stars. My dependent variable is the number of stars that are found. But what is my independent variable and the data for this experiment?

I think this project is catagorized as an engineering experiment. Please help me! This project deadline is coming up.
tdaly
Former Expert
Project Question: N/A
Project Due Date: N/A
Project Status: Not applicable

Re: Experimental Design and Data Table Chart

Post by tdaly »

Hi Sai08,

I'm sorry that it has taken so long for someone to reply to you! The independent variable is the thing you change; the dependent variable is the thing that responds to changes in the independent variable. You are right that your dependent variable is the number of stars counted. You are comparing a human counter vs. a computer counter, so your independent variable is how the stars are counted--human or computer. The data are information you gather to answer your question. Since you are comparing whether a human or computer counts stars "better" (how are you defining better?), then the data you collect will be the number of stars counted by each method.
All the best,
Terik

Return to “Preparing for the Competition”