Citing an ISEF finalist's abstract from a previous year

Questions related to preparing to attend an advanced competition. Experts will answer your questions and provide advice based on their first hand experience competing at advanced competitions. Talk to other students who will be attending and prepare together.

Moderators: AmyCowen, kgudger, bfinio, MadelineB, Moderators

3michelin

Citing an ISEF finalist's abstract from a previous year

Post by 3michelin »

Hello there,

If I wanted to cite another student's ISEF abstract from a previous year, could I do this? I am entering an ISEF affiliated fair, and my research project is similar to a few projects done by ISEF finalists in previous years. If I wanted to compare my results to theirs, how would I cite their abstract that appears on the ISEF project database in my reference section. The finalists' abstract is the only information I have about their study because their research is not published. Would I cite it as I would any other piece of information, or is citing another ISEF finalist's work not allowed? Thank you :D .
MadelineB
Project Question: Interested in volunteering as an expert
Project Due Date: n/a
Project Status: Not applicable

Re: Citing an ISEF finalist's abstract from a previous year

Post by MadelineB »

Hello 3Michelin,

In general, you can reference the other student's abstract following the format for referencing other abstracts. However, it would be "best practices" to look at the instructions and the forms for your specific ISEF-affiliated fair. Each science fair has its own set of instructions, rules, and forms. Best to always double-check those specific instructions!

Let us know what you find - and be sure to let us know how you did at the fair!
3michelin

Re: Citing an ISEF finalist's abstract from a previous year

Post by 3michelin »

MadelineB,

Thank you so much for the information. My specific ISEF affiliated fair uses the rules for the ISEF finalist competition, and there is nothing that say that you cannot cite other people's abstracts. Once again, thank you, and I will keep you updated :)

Return to “Preparing for the Competition”