2 Questions

Questions related to preparing to attend an advanced competition. Experts will answer your questions and provide advice based on their first hand experience competing at advanced competitions. Talk to other students who will be attending and prepare together.

Moderators: AmyCowen, kgudger, bfinio, MadelineB, Moderators

John1010
Project Question: Lysozyme and Lactoferrin Research
Project Due Date: January 2013 (for my local ISEF affiliated fair)
Project Status: I am conducting my experiment

2 Questions

Post by John1010 »

Hi,

Is it possible to be sponsored by scientific supply company (I do not have the money for the chemicals I need) in Intel ISEF?. I can not find a rule against it. Also is it possible to enter more than one science fair such as ISEF and JSHS with the same project.
John 10:10 "The thief comes only to steal and kill and destroy; I have come that they may have life, and have it to the full."

JESUS SAVES
donnahardy2
Former Expert

Re: 2 Questions

Post by donnahardy2 »

Hi,

It sounds like you are planning ahead for next year. This is a great time to start.

It is definitely acceptable to request donation of supplies from a company and you can acknowledge the contribution. Some companies will help students doing science projects and some do not, but it won’t hurt to ask. Since you are starting early, you might also have time to apply for a grant that would pay for supplies. I am familiar with the Intel Fair, but not JSHS. Normally participants in the Intel Fair are winners from the regional fairs, so you would need to enter you local school science fair, then the school district fair, and then the local county fair. Usually, only 2-3 students per county are chosen to participate in the Intel Fair. For JSHS, you might want to find out who the STEM coordinator is in your county and contact that individual for more information.

Is there a local laboratory that does research in retinoblastoma? If so, it would be helpful if you could find someone in the lab to help you as a mentor. This is going to be a challenging project, so it will be helpful to have someone who could help you learn the laboratory techniques and it will be helpful to have access to a laboratory. If you don’t know, look at the authors of some of the research papers you have found for your background reading, and make a note of those that are located close to you.

Have you reviewed the information on doing an advanced project from the Science Buddies Website? The suggestions for finding a mentor should be very helpful to you at this point.

https://www.sciencebuddies.org/science- ... ndex.shtml

What will you be doing for your project? What types of supplies do you need? Sometimes with science projects, it is necessary to adapt the project to the resources that are actually available.

Donna Hardy
John1010

Post by John1010 »

Thank you very much. One more question what if I do not have a school science fair only a regional fair?
John 10:10 "The thief comes only to steal and kill and destroy; I have come that they may have life, and have it to the full."

JESUS SAVES
donnahardy2
Former Expert

Post by donnahardy2 »

Hi,

If you only have a regional fair, then you would start at that point. Regional fairs will send students to both Intel and your state science fair. When applying to the regional fair, check to make sure the fair is Intel affiliated

Donna
John1010

Post by John1010 »

Good thanks

JESUS SAVES

Return to “Preparing for the Competition”