ISEF Questions

Questions related to preparing to attend an advanced competition. Experts will answer your questions and provide advice based on their first hand experience competing at advanced competitions. Talk to other students who will be attending and prepare together.

Moderators: AmyCowen, kgudger, bfinio, MadelineB, Moderators

bpatel
Project Question: n/a
Project Due Date: n/a
Project Status: I am finished with my experiment and analyzing the data

ISEF Questions

Post by bpatel »

Hey! I have been selected as a 2012 Intel ISEF finalist and this is my first time, so I have a couple of questions.

1. On the board, am I supposed to write my name or school?
2. Are acknowledgements supposed to be on the board?
3. My project is a study on obesity in the cellular biology category, and what types of questions can I prepare for? I studied the effects of a chemical on adipogenesis.
4. What are the different headings that are expected to be on the board (ex. problem, hypothesis, etc.)
5. For photo credits, do I just put the link to the website I obtained the picture from? Or does it have to be proper APA/MLA style?
6. I have put a section for references (basic sources I used to develop my experiment).Is this necessary for ISEF?

Thanks!!! :)
jmehta14
Former Expert
Project Question: Do probiotics with antibiotics have a greater affect on different types of bacteria?
Project Due Date: March 1st

Re: ISEF Questions

Post by jmehta14 »

Hi,
Congrats on your achievement to ISEF! Here are some tips that might help you. You can put your name under your title. You do not need to put your school name. Google intel ISEF boards for a better idea! There is a limit on height and width. Stay within that limit.You can put one or two pictures on the board, and the others you can put in a photo album. You could also use a laptop for power point presentation for your pictures. You need to know in depth about your experiment and project . You should be fluent to talk to the judges about your project starting from hypothesis to the results and conclusions and also the significance of your project. Be relaxed during your interview and donot be nervous at all. You will do fine. References and all can be in a seperate binder and will give you more room on your board to show your project. I hope this helps and wish you all the best for ISEF.

Jay.
AerospaceGuy
Former Expert
Project Status: Not applicable

Post by AerospaceGuy »

Hello bpatel,

I was a finalist at ISEF 2007. Jmehta14's answers are pretty much my answers. Just assume that you should prepare as well as you can, and you cannot go wrong because you'll be doing your best! When you're being interviewed, treat it as an opportunity to share your findings and your information with someone, rather than as a test or interrogation. The interviews were my favorite part because I got to explain and discuss the work I'd been doing for months by myself. So, find a way to enjoy it, and you'll do just fine!

Society for Science and the Public, the ISEF organization, provides this PDF with guidelines for and examples of project boards:
http://www.societyforscience.org/document.doc?id=329

Good luck, and feel free to continue to post questions here if you need.
O God, Thy sea is so great, and my boat is so small!
-Anonymous
bpatel

Post by bpatel »

Thank you for the great info!! :)

Return to “Preparing for the Competition”