An Inverter which works on human power

Questions about Build a Simple Circuit resource from the Science Buddies Electronics Primer (http://www.sciencebuddies.org/science-f ... cuit.shtml).

Moderators: kgudger, Moderators

Shardul
Project Question: Inverter which charges by converting mechanical energy of humans to electrical energy
Project Due Date: 15 August 2013
Project Status: I am just starting

An Inverter which works on human power

Post by Shardul »

Good Morning,

My name is Shardul Shankar. I have been given a topic to create a project, whose deadline is mid-August 2013. The project concept is that I have to create an inverter which converts the mechanical energy of our humans into electricity, which is to be stored in the Inverter. That is, the energy which is used by humans in walking, i have to create a panel, which converts that mechanical energy into electrical energy, much similar to the dance floor. But I don't know which things I have to study other than the Inverter circuit. Can you please help me in understanding what do I have to study and do further in it?

Thank You.
k4gfwgerry
Former Expert
Occupation: Retired Electronics Engineer from Motorola Solutions
Project Question: n/a
Project Due Date: n/a
Project Status: Not applicable

Re: An Inverter which works on human power

Post by k4gfwgerry »

Hi Shardul - Here are some thoughts on your project. An inverter (or generator) generates electrical power from energy (in this case walking). However, an inverter or generator does not in itself store power. To do that you would have to use either a very large capacitor or better yet a rechargeable battery. This is how most solar and wind generators work since the source of energy is not constant. I hope that helps.
Gerry Gruenbaum
Science Buddies "Ask an Expert" Volunteer

Return to “Build a Simple Circuit”