Year 11/12 subject selection

Please post requests for answers to "interview" questions in this forum (only). Responses are not guaranteed, and requests that fail to follow Science Buddies' rules regarding interviews will be not be addressed.

Moderators: AmyCowen, kgudger, bfinio, MadelineB, Moderators

tiagothegreat

Year 11/12 subject selection

Post by tiagothegreat »

Hello! I am new to this forum, sorry if I do something wrong like post this question in the wrong subject. I would appreciate help if I do so.

I want to have a science related career. Physical or engineer science is what it looks I want to do right now. Something like an aerospace engineer, robotics engineer, physicist or astronomer. I have to pick my year 11 and 12 subjects in 3 days. Choices are:

General Maths
Mathematics
Mathematics Extension 1
Mathematics Extension 2
Physics
Chemistry
Biology
Engineering
Modern History
Ancient History
Business Studies
Legal Studies
Economic Studies
Community and Family Studies
Ceramics
Photography, filming
Design and technology
English Standard
English Advanced
English As A Second Language
Geography
Food technology
Information Processes and Technology
Investigating Science
Languages
Music
Society and culture
Software design and development
PD/Health/PE
Textiles and design
Studies of religion
Visual arts
Computer applications

Anyways click http://www.boardofstudies.nsw.edu.au/syllabus_hsc/for the full list and some more info.
What subjects should I pick or are best keeping in mind my future career?
I was thinking: Investigating Science, Physics, chemistry, maths extension 1, advanced english, ancient history but I want to see opinions and suggestions. Thank you very much for taking your time to read. Please reply. Thank you

Moderator note: You posted the same question in the Physical Science forum. I deleted that post since the Science Buddies posting guidelines ask that you not post the same question in more than one forum. Thank you.
MadelineB
Project Question: Interested in volunteering as an expert
Project Due Date: n/a
Project Status: Not applicable

Re: Year 11/12 subject selection

Post by MadelineB »

Hello Tiago the Great,
I apologize that no one has responded to your query. Although I am not an engineer nor a physicist nor an astronomer, I will give you my comments as a mathematical statistician and biostatistician and data scientist:

I think the courses you suggest will provide you with the science, history, and english background that will be useful. I'm glad to see you pick from a broad "liberal" arts point of view while you are still in high school. Even when you get to university, try to continue to take a few courses in history, political science, and english. This will help you understand the world around you!

You don't mention how many courses you will be able to take in year 11 and if you can choose different courses in year 12. I would suggest that you try to add some biology and some computer and information technology.

You might also start looking at which universities you might want to attend, and see what courses are offered in each of the careers you are considering.

Also, do not hesitate to post another request for an interview with someone in those career paths. Now that school has started here in the northern hemisphere, you might get a response from an engineer, physicist, or astronomer.

Best regards!

Return to “Interview Requests”