LEGO® Mindstorms® Robotics All-Terrain Robot

Please post requests for answers to "interview" questions in this forum (only). Responses are not guaranteed, and requests that fail to follow Science Buddies' rules regarding interviews will be not be addressed.

Moderators: AmyCowen, kgudger, bfinio, MadelineB, Moderators

dani_97

LEGO® Mindstorms® Robotics All-Terrain Robot

Post by dani_97 »

Hello in this video of the science buddies the made a robot changing the wheels for different appendages, in this case i am interested in the las appendage they use that is similar to a J and i was wondering if maybe you could answer the following questions
1. Did you develop the robot yourself alone or with a team? (if so could you pleas give me the names of the members of the team)
2. Has it evolve? have you redesign it ?
3. How is it formed? (main elements)
4. How is the robot powered?
5. have you sold the idea to anyone or use it to do something different than this specific robot?
6. What type of links or connections does it have and how many?
7. What types of kinematic pairs does it possesses (class, order).and how many?
8. How does it transmit motion?
9. Do you have the kinematic Diagram of the mechanisms in the robot? if so could you share them with me?
10. Do you know the speed (m/s)?
11. How much does it weight?
12. Does it have any Deflection (degrees)?
13. How hard was it to build?
14. How much time did it required to build?
15. How many parts total does the robot has?
16. What materials did you use to build it?

Thank you
bfinio
Expert
Project Question: Expert
Project Due Date: n/a
Project Status: Not applicable

Re: LEGO® Mindstorms® Robotics All-Terrain Robot

Post by bfinio »

Hi dani,

I am the author of the Science Buddies project you are referring to, but was wondering if you could clarify your assignment a bit. Are you supposed to built your own robot? Or are these interview questions that you are supposed to ask someone who designed a real-world robot?

This robot was designed specifically as an example for students for this Science Buddies project. So, we do not "give away" specific details like exactly how the robot was built or how fast it moves - it is up to you to design and build your own robot and measure its speed or climbing ability. I actually built the robot several years ago and did not record much of this information anyway (like exactly how many pieces it had or how much it weighed) so would be unable to answer some of your questions.

If you need examples of "real world" robots, I would suggest that you look at the "Whegs" and "RHex" robots listed in the project's bibliography, which provided inspiration for this robot:

https://www.sciencebuddies.org/science- ... bliography

Otherwise, if you would still like to ask your questions about the robot in the Science Buddies project - first, try to see which ones you can answer yourself based on the video and the information in the project (for example, "What materials did you use to build it?" - you should be able to answer that one yourself). Then, let me know, and I can do my best to answer the remaining questions; but as I said above I will not have answers for all of them.

Finally, another option if you are just supposed to do an interview and do not need to build your own robot - I did my Ph.D. thesis on a robot called the RoboBee (a small robotic bee - search Google images for "RoboBee" and you will see lots of pictures of it), and would be able to provide better answers to questions about that.

Thanks,

Ben

Return to “Interview Requests”