Science of Freewill

Please post requests for answers to "interview" questions in this forum (only). Responses are not guaranteed, and requests that fail to follow Science Buddies' rules regarding interviews will be not be addressed.

Moderators: AmyCowen, kgudger, bfinio, MadelineB, Moderators

SunMoonandStars

Science of Freewill

Post by SunMoonandStars »

I've now heard multiple videos with sophisticated scientists saying that there is no such thing as freewill. The basic logic behind it is that everything one does, thinks, or feels, is a result of physical processes in the brain, body, and environment. Processes for which we have no control over. Therefore, we do not have control over what we do, think, or feel either. I've heard it said that for one to think humans have freewill, one would also have to think that humans are not bound by the laws of physics. I've heard counter arguments that i feel are weak, which try to incorporate quantum physics into the picture, saying quantum physics debunks determinism, leaving room for choice, or somehow allowing humans to control the actions of the cells and neurons in their brain using thought or conscious will. On the grounds of science, whats the best conclusion to make here?
AmyCowen
Site Admin
Project Question: -
Project Due Date: -
Project Status: Not applicable

Re: Science of Freewill

Post by AmyCowen »

This question is outside of the scope of the Ask an Expert forums. The forums are for questions about hands-on science projects.

Science Buddies

Return to “Interview Requests”