To setup a project

Ask questions about projects relating to: biology, biochemistry, genomics, microbiology, molecular biology, pharmacology/toxicology, zoology, human behavior, archeology, anthropology, political science, sociology, geology, environmental science, oceanography, seismology, weather, or atmosphere.
Shipon

To setup a project

Post by Shipon »

Dear replier,
Don't mind for my ignorance. I am a new comer in research arena. I have already completed my M.S degree from Dhaka University, Bangladeh. Now I want to gain a Ph. D degree. So I like to do my Ph. d work on the Trophic " The effect of Hydorgen Peroxide on the rooting of Plant Cuttings and Seed Germination". Here I like to mention that I prefered this trophic from this forum i.e Science Buddies. Now I want to know that If there is any information that previously this experiment was done, what experimental design I will take?What is the Outcomes of this Project? And Some references relating with this projcet.
Thanking You.

Please reply me as early as possible. I have to submit this project within July, 15, 2007.
Muhammad Nuzmul Hoque
MelissaB

Post by MelissaB »

Shipon,

This forum is a place for us to help primary school students with their science fair projects, not a place for us to help post-secondary students come up with a topic for their theses.

While I have no idea what the exact requirements for a Ph.D. in your country are, I very much doubt that a topic from this website--designed for children--is appropriate for a student at your level. I suggest you speak with your advisor and other students in your department, and look online (Google Scholar is a great place) for papers on topics you're interested in. Once you've done that, you may want to contact the authors to be sure you just don't repeat their work.
Shipon

Post by Shipon »

Dear replier,

Thank you very much. In our country this work is very relevant and very improtant. so i prefer this tophic. Here I like to mention that you said that this work is very easy. But in litearatue survey I found many papers that Hydrogen peroxide has an effect for seed germination. There are not detailed information. I design my experiment in my own way. Just I liked to collect some additional information from you.So if there is any information please infrom me.

Thanking you.
Muhammad Nuzmul Hoque
Louise
Former Expert

Re: Reply

Post by Louise »

Shipon wrote:Dear replier,

Thank you very much. In our country this work is very relevant and very improtant. so i prefer this tophic. Here I like to mention that you said that this work is very easy. But in litearatue survey I found many papers that Hydrogen peroxide has an effect for seed germination. There are not detailed information. I design my experiment in my own way. Just I liked to collect some additional information from you.So if there is any information please infrom me.

Thanking you.
I totally agree with MelissaB, this project is inappropriate for a Ph.D. student, and this forum is not the appropriate site for you to be asking for help. To me, it is horrifying that you are even asking for help here, especially if you already have two college degrees.

You asked three questions in your first post:

1)Now I want to know that If there is any information that previously this experiment was done, what experimental design I will take?

The experimental provided on this site is rated "6", which is for a 12 year old. I certainly would not use this as a basis for a Ph.D. project.

As a professional scientist, I can tell you experimental design is the hardest part of science. Once you have come up with a clever experiment, collecting the data is just a technical matter (not that it isn't hard). This is really what you are earning your Ph.D. for- designing experiments to test relevant hypothesis at a fairly sophisticated level. Then, redesign experiments, when the first ones don't work.

You should come up with a hypothesis with your thesis advisor. And, "Hydrogen peroxide inhibits root cutting growth" is, again, a hypothesis for a 12 year old. Now, something like, "Hydrogen peroxide inhibits growth through destruction of the blah, blah enzyme, inhibiting the blah mechanism" (where "blah" is just a filler. I haven't done the research, so I can't even begin to tell you how hydrogen peroxide does work on plants.) Then you could do some sophisicated experiment on the enzyme and its mechanicism. As a chemist, I doubt that hydrogen peroxide is a good chemical to use. My bet is that it just chews up everything and there aren't any interesting studies. But, do some reading.

2) What is the Outcomes of this Project?
No idea. We help students do there own project following the scientific method. We help the children work up whatever data they collect, and reconcile it with their hypotheses. This isn't a peer reviewed journal, and we don't have an answer key for results (but who does, really?)

3) And Some references relating with this projcet.

You said you have already done literature searches. Do some more. We don't provide references to peer reviewed journals. First, most people don't have access and secondly, these papers are too complicated for children. If you can't find anything in the literature, maybe that is because this project is too simple.

Lastly, you really need to talk to your thesis advisor. You need a complicated, multipart project that will take a few years to complete, and which should lead to multiple papers and is on a topic your advisor can assist you with.

Louise
Shipon

Post by Shipon »

Dear louise,
Thank you very much. For your kind information I like to mention here that in our country research activity and facilities is no so good. I get two degree. But In case of first degree there is no research work only practiical class and a three day study tour provided and In second case I did a thesis on natural product i.e. Phytochemical investigation on Lichen( Ramalina calicaries). Okay. you mention that this site is not appropriate for me. So would you please tell me to find out the appropriate site? I thik that You are a chemist and have a vast knowledge about research. So I Want to setup up another project by consulting with you. Will you help me?
Muhammad Nuzmul Hoque
Louise
Former Expert

Re: Reply

Post by Louise »

Shipon wrote: you mention that this site is not appropriate for me. So would you please tell me to find out the appropriate site?
The appropriate site is the website of your favorite peer reviewed journal. PhD level projects need to be generated by reading the scientific literature, identifying unresolved questions (that interest you), and developing the appropriate research plan.

I thik that You are a chemist and have a vast knowledge about research. So I Want to setup up another project by consulting with you. Will you help me?
Every time I have created a research proposal on my own (as opposed to performing research of interest to my advisor), I have spent a minimum of 3 months reading the literature and finding unresolved questions that
1) were of interest to me
2) I could successfully answer using the tools I had in my lab

I cannot help you with this. I don't know what interest you and I don't know what tools you have. Nor do I have the time to study a project of interest to you, but not to me.

As a beginning graduate student, this process should be done with your thesis advisor. Why are you not talking to your advisor?

Louise
Shipon

Garting

Post by Shipon »

Dear louise,
Thanks. Thank you very much for your nice advise. I hope that your advise help me very much. I will try my best to follow your counsel.
Whenever I set up another project I again contact with you. Bye.
Muhammad Nuzmul Hoque

Return to “Life, Earth, and Social Sciences”