what ncturnal insects are there in New York State?

Ask questions about projects relating to: biology, biochemistry, genomics, microbiology, molecular biology, pharmacology/toxicology, zoology, human behavior, archeology, anthropology, political science, sociology, geology, environmental science, oceanography, seismology, weather, or atmosphere.
Helen

what ncturnal insects are there in New York State?

Post by Helen »

I'm doing a science project, the topic is How light pollution effect _________(insect)? I'm having trouble with filling up the blank. Because it has to be a nocturnal insect in New York and somewhere to buy a certain ammount of it. I have thought of German cockroach, but really can't find a place to buy it. And pill bugs appear to be too small to observe. So, please give me some good sujestions~Thank you.

:D
adance
Former Expert
Project Question: n/a
Project Due Date: n/a
Project Status: Not applicable

Post by adance »

Helen, I think this is a really neat idea. I am not sure how you are going to test it exactly. It will also be interesting to see what you find in your background research--that might give you ideas for methods as well.

Maybe some kind of moth would work?

Try Carolina Biological Supply. They have several different kinds of live insects available including German cockroaches.

Good luck.
Amber Dance
Science Buddy
Louise
Former Expert

Post by Louise »

adance wrote:Helen, I think this is a really neat idea. I am not sure how you are going to test it exactly. It will also be interesting to see what you find in your background research--that might give you ideas for methods as well.

Maybe some kind of moth would work?

Try Carolina Biological Supply. They have several different kinds of live insects available including German cockroaches.

Good luck.
Does it have to be native to NY? Otherwise, try a pet store. They sell lots of insects (cheap) to feed to lizards, snakes, frogs, etc.

Louise

Return to “Life, Earth, and Social Sciences”